Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

hello members
i would like to know if its possible to model realworld scenarios in ArcGis or any other Gis software. I intend to model traffic flow for a junction and am stuck.

i really appreciate any ideas guys. thanx

Igor Brejc

Igor Brejc

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Slovenia

Take a look at Geospatial Analysis book (here's the Web version: http://www.spatialan...ne.com/output/), especially the "Network and Location Analysis" and "Geocomputational methods and modeling" chapters, they contain some useful clues about simulation and various tools that can be used.
Igor Brejc
author of Maperitive, an OSM-based mapmaking software

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Lego,

Welcome to Cartotalk. Using the Network Analyst extension for ArcGIS would be your ESRI option, however there is a specific class of software that suits itself to the incredibly complicated process of transportation modeling. The modelers I work with have used Inro's EMME software as well as PTV's VISUM. Since you are just interested in an intersection VISSIM might be a better solution.

If your needs are rudimentary you might find what you need using ESRI's Network Analyst, however if you want to dive down the rabbit hole of transportation modeling I would suggest PTV.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->