• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

anygis

anygis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello,

I just started with Manifold and working with Ordnance Survey UK map data which I import this to Manifold using TAB/TIF.
What I want to do next seems obvious, Zoom to a specific region Copy that section of the map at that same zoomed resolution
and paste to a new drawing/map and save this in dxf format

Zooming is easy enough but I cant drag a selection box over the area of interest so that I can do a Copy and Paste.

Is this a limitation of working with TIF/Raster files or am I doing something wrong?

Can I get Ordnance Survey data into manifold in a format where I can do this kind of thing?

Is there another way to do what I want to do?

The best I have managed to come up with so far is to Make Image (F6 I think) and save this as a high quality jpg my only problem is
that by the time I do all this the Quality of the Map Imagery is less than 100% - Is this another limitation owing to the Ordnance Survey
way of doing things?

Cheers

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hello,

I just started with Manifold and working with Ordnance Survey UK map data which I import this to Manifold using TAB/TIF.
What I want to do next seems obvious, Zoom to a specific region Copy that section of the map at that same zoomed resolution

Zooming is easy enough but I cant drag a selection box over the area of interest so that I can do a Copy and Paste.

Is this a limitation of working with TIF/Raster files or am I doing something wrong?

Can I get Ordnance Survey data into manifold in a format where I can do this kind of thing?

Is there another way to do what I want to do?

The best I have managed to come up with so far is to Make Image (F6 I think) and save this as a high quality jpg my only problem is
that by the time I do all this the Quality of the Map Imagery is less than 100% - Is this another limitation owing to the Ordnance Survey
way of doing things?

Cheers

"What I want to do next seems obvious, Zoom to a specific region Copy that section of the map at that same zoomed resolution

Zooming is easy enough but I cant drag a selection box over the area of interest so that I can do a Copy and Paste."

Assuming it's georeferenced:

- create blank drawing (unless you have a neatline file already prepared) (right click >create drawing)
- create a map (right click > create map > dialog opens, select the blank drawing & georeferenced image, make sure all others are unchecked)
- you may or may not need this step but just in case select from the menu Tools > Customize > look on the right side under toolbars & scroll down to Tools, select that & you will notice a star with a bunch of shapes on top. To create that neatline select one of the squares but make sure the tab at the bottom in this case the blank drawing lets call it neatline is selected
- Once you have created the neatline select it or do a select all if your not confident
- right click the neatline tab & select from the menu "transfer selection"
- in the box under modify the name of the raster, in the list select the neatline drawing then hit OK
- rate now the neatline is selected what you need to do is goto the menu & select inverse or use a ctrl-I. At this point the inverse thanks to the transfer selection tool is the image area within the boundary of the neatline.
- The next step is to select the image tab & either do a ctrl-C or edit menu & copy
- do a right click in the project menu & paste as image. You may want to change name of the image

The image quality will paste at the scale it was done. So if you paste at 1:100000 you will get the quality usually.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

anygis

anygis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ok I now have a Zoomed in Image of the Selected area in my Project dock, thanks! This image can only be
exported in a bitmap format bmp,jpg etc and I want to export as a dxf file.

So I continued on by creating a new Map selecting the 'Drawing' and the new 'Zoomed Image' and then
attempted to export this 2nd Map as a DXF during which I get a pop up box prompting me to
"Synthesize Z data" from a list of options - I have tried each one and they all fail with a "Nothing
to Export" message

So how do I create the DXF file from my zoomed image?

Cheers

Sab

Sab

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United Kingdom

What you need is a gazetteer. We are in process of developing one for QGIS (http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Download). There will be an announcement on:
http://wiki.osgeo.or...Os_tools_for_os

Just finished the plugin to read and style MasterMap data in QGIS.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Ok I now have a Zoomed in Image of the Selected area in my Project dock, thanks! This image can only be
exported in a bitmap format bmp,jpg etc and I want to export as a dxf file.

So I continued on by creating a new Map selecting the 'Drawing' and the new 'Zoomed Image' and then
attempted to export this 2nd Map as a DXF during which I get a pop up box prompting me to
"Synthesize Z data" from a list of options - I have tried each one and they all fail with a "Nothing
to Export" message

So how do I create the DXF file from my zoomed image?

Cheers

DXF is a vector format and you're working with a (raster) TIFF image, so you'll need to convert the raster image to vector before you can export to DXF. Alternatively, look at using one of the OS OpenData vector datasets, which are actually supplied in DXF format.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

anygis

anygis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks again! another question I have then is having Imported the OS DTM NTF files I noticed that in Manifold I get an almost perfectly seemless image except every now and then where the tile edges meet I get strange artifacts like one of the colours running in a solid thin stripe vertically up the edges of 2 adjoining tiles. What makes it worse is the same shade of color is crossing differing elevation shades present on the surrounding tiles.

This detracts from the overall image and makes it obvious that the image has been stitched together with tiles creating a sort of "look where they join effect", very amateurish...

I have tried using the Manifold filter option to variously 'smooth', 'reduce noise' and 'posterise' the DEM but the artifacts still remain obvious

I didnt notice this when I initially loaded the Greyscale DEM it was only after I got Manifold to colour each of the tiles

Have I missed something during my Import/Render/Colour or is this artifact to be expected? In case it makes a difference the DTM was overlaid on a portion of OS Vectormap District...

Also is there anyway to do a group operation in Manifold? For example colourising the DEM involved doing the exact same procedure to 20 or so different tiles(=Manifold tabs) it seemed a bit inefficient having to click on each of the 20 tabs to repeat the colouring procedure

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->