SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

The BC Government announced this Tuesday, July 19th that several datasets would be released/consolidates for the public and via a single portal!

Data has been fairly 'open' in BC for some time now.

If you wanted to acquire data in the past you would have to contact several ministries, sign several documents, then wait.... And then once you got the information you needed to make sense of it somehow (file formats, content formatting, etc...).

Its nice to see most of it in one place.

data.gov.bc.ca is a website from the Province of BC that acts as a portal to over 2500+ datasets (several in a GIS ready format - shp/kml).
Also released is a Freedom of Information portal where FOI requests will be made public 4-7 days after the original requester receives their data. Statistical Cartos may love this one.

Did I mention this is ALL (except personal information found in FOI requests for example) released under a user-friendly licence?.

I am thinking now is the time to get myself a copy of Visualize This so I can poweruse this inundation of information!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

I've tried downloading some geospatial information only to be confronted with an error message that stated that I did not have permission to access the files. I sent an email to them and they replied that the link was to outdated data that no longer existed and was getting replaced. Obviously a few bugs in the system to work out.

As well, there doesn't seem to be an access to serious base map data (e.g. TRIM) . . . a major shortcoming in my opinion.

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

As well, there doesn't seem to be an access to serious base map data (e.g. TRIM) . . . a major shortcoming in my opinion.

I agree:

For example, TRIM data/information is distributed and published for free:
You can buy the data @ $200-400 per sheet in a digital gis ready format...
Or download the data to interpret yourself for free, on your own time, in a static format as PDF and raster tiffs from the Land and Resource Data Warehouse.

Hopefully data.gov will point out this redundancy and eliminate it.

I would also like to see other products such as - Cadastre which ICIS is facilitating. Again, no GIS data, just viewable via webmaps (query and view attributes though...) Look at their presentations where the term "open data" is used in almost all of them but the data distribution method is quite the contrary.

If we aren't careful ICIS will be what Altalis is in Alberta.

Or how about some high-resolution/recent orthos from the Integrated Land Management Bureau.

Click the Request More or We Need Your Help buttons and submit a data request like I have (for TRIM I and II) or any other products you would like to see.

BC is embracing the idea that data is better managed and meaningful as 'open' and we need to practice that as well by encouraging it. This is an opportunity, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->