Jason JB

Jason JB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Malaysia

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on a project where I'm modelling species habitats potential locations and mapping them out (14 species alltogether). They are divided into confirmed, high potential, low potential and not suitable locations and the outputs are feature classes with the different classes. I have now been requested to overlay all the high potential habitat areas and create a composite of them so that I will have an output showing the gradiation of the number of species for a given high potential area for a location. Would I need to convert the feature class to a raster and do a raster calculation or is there a way I could just do it with the feature classes. Any ideas are much appreciated :)

Thanks!

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

... I have now been requested to overlay all the high potential habitat areas and create a composite of them so that I will have an output showing the gradiation of the number of species for a given high potential area for a location. Would I need to convert the feature class to a raster and do a raster calculation or is there a way I could just do it with the feature classes.

You are using ArcGIS?

Check out this thread where the overlaps are broken into segments where they intersect underlying features.

This also allows the underlying features to be identified by whatever attributes.

I just mention this method because it gives you a "gradient" of the overlaps and what features are overlapping.

Jason JB

Jason JB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Malaysia

Yes, I am using ArcGIS.

Thanks for the link. I found it very helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->