• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cashley

cashley

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

hi there. i'm a memer of the AAG and the ACPG as well as a grad student at Portland (OR) State University. i'm thinking about doing a GIS mapping project for tokyo, japan and was wondering if anyone knew of any good data clearinghouses for tokyo gis data? i tried seaching on the web but didn't come up with anything. any help would be greatly appriciated.

-chris

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Why Tokyo? Any gis files will be hard to get. I would pick a place in US where files are everywhere.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

A couple of months ago I did a project in Japan and had a real difficult time finding any national data that was free; in fact I never did. Their is a national mapping type agency, google for it, that lists what is available for a cost, and it isn't that cheap. I ended up purchasing some raster products via Eastview or a like company and digitized, something you probably don't want to do for a school project.

You might try contacting a large Tokyo university to see if you can create some type of partnership.

Or as Beaver questioned, why Tokyo?

My experience made me grateful for all the free data sets, caveats and all, that the U.S. makes available to the world.

rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->