Photo

MAC - PC font conversions for illustrator?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites & kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

Hi everyone,
I'm new to CartoTalk so if i'm posting to the wrong section with this ...sorry.
I just started working for a new company where I am for the first time dealing with projects that are being worked on by a Mac person and a PC person (myself). I am new to dealing with the issue of open type fonts that will show up the same in illustrator on both the Mac and PC. So I have a few questions:
1:I've seen software advertised as font conversion software. Im wondering if anyone has used this and if so does it work and which should i purchase.
2: are there any other issues I should be aware of as I enter into this cross platform world?

Any links or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Josh

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Hi everyone,
I just started working for a new company where I am for the first time dealing with projects that are being worked on by a Mac person and a PC person (myself). I am new to dealing with the issue of open type fonts that will show up the same in illustrator on both the Mac and PC. So I have a few questions:
1:I've seen software advertised as font conversion software. Im wondering if anyone has used this and if so does it work and which should i purchase.
2: are there any other issues I should be aware of as I enter into this cross platform world?

thanks,
Josh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Josh,

I moved the topic and made the title a little bit more descriptive...

Like you said, Open Type fonts should work on both and thus not require conversion. I have not dealt with using fontlab or fontographer to do conversions. I know they can do it but not sure how successful. The best way to avoid any problems is to convert the font to outlines in the application once all edits are done. That precludes editing formatted text on both machines. You may want to go to a type specific forum (http://typophile.com/) as you may get a better response about how to do the conversion if you must.

However if both machines are running modern OS (MAC OSX and wind 2000 or XP) I suspect you should not have any problems as long as both machines have the same Open Type fonts and they are called the same thing on both machines. I would suggest making sure that you have the same font on both machines with a test file. If you have different font format of the same font this may cause difficulties especially on Macs where fonts are known to hide in many places with similar names...

Josh

Josh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:wild mushrooms, kites &amp; kite boarding, climbing, bouldering, graphic design, dive bars, dive restaurants, diving, museums, movies from the 70z, downloading music that i'll never listen to, politics, bitching about politics, comics (yes...i still read comics but i don't have a star trek outfit), project management, cute girls walking down the street, a perfect latte, good wine (bad wine too), and all that keeps me entertained during the day.
  • United States

Hi everyone,

thanks,
Josh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Josh,

I moved the topic and made the title a little bit more descriptive...

Like you said, Open Type fonts should work on both and thus not require conversion. I have not dealt with using fontlab or fontographer to do conversions. I know they can do it but not sure how successful. The best way to avoid any problems is to convert the font to outlines in the application once all edits are done. That precludes editing formatted text on both machines. You may want to go to a type specific forum (http://typophile.com/) as you may get a better response about how to do the conversion if you must.

However if both machines are running modern OS (MAC OSX and wind 2000 or XP) I suspect you should not have any problems as long as both machines have the same Open Type fonts and they are called the same thing on both machines. I would suggest making sure that you have the same font on both machines with a test file. If you have different font format of the same font this may cause difficulties especially on Macs where fonts are known to hide in many places with similar names...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I guess i need to also figure out if all the true type fonts that i have can be converted to work on the MAC.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

For most true type and PS fonts as long as the fonts are made for both platforms and you have a platform specific version on each, the files should recognize them just fine.

If you have a font on the Mac and no PC version I have good success with MacDisk (google it). It enables Mac disks and volumes to be read on PCs and file transfers between the two. The best part is it does automatic font detection and conversion. Without this application any fonts you move from Mac to PC will loose their data fork and be unusable.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Years ago I used 2 little apps (bundled together for around $100): Transmac and Crossfont.

Transmac allowed a Windows computer to read Mac disks. Bit of a hassle because it worked in its own interface, not Explorer. But hey, if all you want to do is copy the contents, it does the job.

Crossfont could convert various Mac and Windows font formats. Used it once or twice, didn't see any obvious problems.

Information/order here
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

ah... nostalgia, I remember using Transmac in the old days to read some floppies. The biology departments at school were all mac-ified.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->