• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

2011-07-01

[Excerpt from the Web-page; full exposition click here.]

Announcing Beta-1 Digital Version:

Cahill-Keyes Multi-scale Megamap

• with coastlines, and borders;

• one-degree graticule; and 40,000 mm grid-length;

• at eight scales of 1/1,000,000 through 1/200,000,000;

• illustrated by 14 jpegs;

and including for free download:

• 6 very large pdf's plus 13 others;

• the entire one-piece 40 MB 1/1,000,000 Megamap file
(OOo: OpenOffice.org Draw);

• the 2 programs which drew it,
enabling a "Do-it-yourself-Megamap".

Designed and calculated by Gene Keyes

Programmed by Mary Jo Graça
in Perl and OpenOffice.org Draw

After years of design work by me, and months of programming by Mary Jo Graça, I am pleased to present here as a Beta-1 the first complete version of the Cahill-Keyes Multi-scale Megamap at the virtual and actual scale of 1/1,000,000, or smaller as preferred. Virtual, because the whole 40 MB file is on a thumb drive as well as downloadable from my website; actual, because if you have the material and space for it, you can print and assemble the map as a gym-size showpiece, 40 m x 20 m (132' x 66'). Or various other scales from large wall maps to smaller notebook size versions.

This Beta-1 Cahill-Keyes Multi-scale Megamap is still at a very early stage, full of deficiencies itemized further on, but comprising six major firsts, unprecedented in any other world map:

1) First-time-ever digital draft of an entire
single-frame world map at 1/1,000,000, with

2) a complete one-degree graticule, and

3) proportional geocells throughout, and

4) a three-fold grid spanning 40,000 km,
approximate Earth circumference, and

5) scalability from 1/1,000,000 down to 1/200,000,000 or beyond,
all with one-degree geocells; and

ergo

6) a unitary world map whereby all complete or partial segments,
at any size, are scaled replicas of the same parent Megamap, and

two additional firsts for the Cahill-Keyes Megamap endeavor:

(as in conventional world maps):

7) complete coastlines, and

8) complete international borders.

On the minus side, the Beta-1 as of now has at least seven shortcomings, what with its early stage, and our limited resources. [I'm still amazed that we did all this graphic work via the free OpenOffice.org (OOo) 2.0 Draw, on a pair of $300 Asus netbooks with a 4 gig drive and a 7" screen — Mary Jo's, that is; I attached a 19" monitor to mine. Also, as to be explained later, we upgraded to OOo 3.0 on a $448 Acer notebook at the last minute.]

Negatives: these are all to be dealt with in later Betas:

1) Outdated borders
(World Vector Shoreline from NOAA: perhaps to be supplanted by
GMT /GSHHS or other GIS data sets later on.)

2) No major internal boundaries (large provinces and states);

3) No major rivers, lakes, or inland seas;

4) No light-blue fill-color for oceans;

5) No numbering, yet, of five-degree meridians and parallels;

6) No re-assembly, yet, of four Antarctica segments,
plus extensions for Iceland, Greenland, and Kamchatka peninsula);

7) Adequate but inefficient sizing and panning mechanism
to view or extract any selected area of the full-size Megamap,
or its smaller counterparts.

Names, and all other features, are TBA. My aim has always been to produce, as a first step, a simple outline map, with coastlines and national borders, at 1/1,000,000 and smaller. A “simple” outline map — but likewise with high precision and high resolution, global totality and fidelity, and those all-important one-degree proportional geocells. For now, this utilizes vector, or line drawn coasts and borders, rather than a geophysical or remote image composite. I hope others can add those in the future, and much else to this basic skeleton.

Questions or comments: here, or gene.keyes at gmail dot com

Note: as explained on the Web page, pdf prints of this and other images there are sharp and accurate, unlike jpegs; also, pdf's load and scroll amazingly faster in the Chrome browser than anything else I've seen, including Acrobat.

Posted Image

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

That's some very impressive work Gene! Do you think there will ever be a 'full' world map (i.e topographic at 1:1M), I fr one would love to see that.

Do you use a single set of source data for all scales? It's just that some of the shortcomings you listed are addressed in the Natural Earth Vector dataset, but that only goes down to 1:10M scale.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:world politics, world peace, world map cartography, B.J.S. Cahill, Buckminster Fuller, Robert Heinlein, Esperanto
  • Canada

That's some very impressive work Gene! Do you think there will ever be a 'full' world map (i.e topographic at 1:1M), I fr one would love to see that.

Do you use a single set of source data for all scales? It's just that some of the shortcomings you listed are addressed in the Natural Earth Vector dataset, but that only goes down to 1:10M scale.

Yes, I hope there could be a topo and/or remote image version of at least 1/1M -- a Google Earth for flat mapping, minus the Mercator habit.

And yes, the Beta-1 uses the WVS data set all the way from 1/1M on down. I like the idea and scope of Natural Earth, and wish it went ten times larger.

Thanks for your reply. --Gene Keyes

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Canada

Nice work, (actually probably a lot of work).

You mentionned to Hans
...the Beta-1 uses the WVS data set all the way from 1/1M on down...

Therefore and from what I saw there is NO generalization from one scale set to another.
IMO I believe this is a must.

Please keep Cartotalk posted on your progress.

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Nice work, (actually probably a lot of work).

You mentionned to Hans
...the Beta-1 uses the WVS data set all the way from 1/1M on down...

Therefore and from what I saw there is NO generalization from one scale set to another.
IMO I believe this is a must.

Regards,

Indeed, no generalization in the Beta-1; perhaps that can be done as later versions evolve. Meanwhile, I was surprised at how well it worked at smaller scales, notwithstanding lack of generalization. One exception was the Aaland Islands off of Finland, which become a black blob. And southern Chile is not so good. Etc. --Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Regards,

Progress report: Todd Ulrich has done a test print on vinyl of a 5' x 1o' [jr.] Megamap version, 1/13,000,000: among the biggest single-piece world maps in existence, and the only such one printed with a resolution of one-degree geocells. Joe Roubal has made an 18" globe to my specifications, with a 5-degree graticule, in 8 octants corresponding to the Cahill-Keyes map. While both of these trial specimens are not yet ready for prime time, they a great step ahead of my earlier hand-drawn prototypes. I have posted a set of 10 photos of the globe and maps here http://www.genekeyes...test-print.html
As I conclude on that web-page,

A basic principle of the Cahill-Keyes map system is total point for point comparability of map and globe: octant for octant, geocell for geocell, shape for shape. No other world map or globe does this.

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Latest progress report:

1) 10 thematic maps in New York Times 2011-12-06 adapted from Cahill-Keyes projection (per notification from NYT itself, but no source credit line as yet).
http://www.nytimes.c...1206-world.html

2) Another big step: I've uploaded a 40 MB pdf version of the Megamap, 40 m x 20 m (132' x 66'), 1/1,000,000; 1-piece, 1-degree resolution;
easy to open and scroll in a Chrome browser: first scroll giant pdf down & to right.
http://www.genekeyes...yes-Megamap.pdf

Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada

Another progress report: Just a heads-up that the Cahill-Keyes Multi-scale Megamap Beta-2 will be appearing on my web site in due course, and with detailed documentation about its augmented Perl and OOo programming. Meanwhile, attached is a preview jpeg of ca. 1/100,000,000.

In Beta-2, the following improvements have been made:

1) Digital (not cut-paste) incorporation of reunified Antarctica, at South America octant;

2) Similarly, seven digital "extension tabs" to rejoin split ends of Greenland, Iceland, Russian Far East, Melville Island, Kerguelen, Maldives, and Gaudalcanal;

3) Major lakes and seas added, plus up-to-date national borders, both thanks to Duncan Webb, who is also preparing a Cahill-Keyes World Political wall map, in color, labeled with countries and capitals.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->