22 replies to this topic

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the fonts -- and the referrals! Another reason I like your map: I lived in Val-des-Monts in the 90s (you have it named in the upper right corner), and I'm familiar with the general area. Fond memories! I love the greenish blue colour of the lakes (the real lakes, not the ones on your map :rolleyes: ) in the Park, which is so different from the usual reddish colour of the water in most parts of the Canadian Shield.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Beautiful map. I don't have anything more to say than what have already been said. À part que je suis content quand je vois qu'il y a d'autres cartographes au Québec! ;)

fdb

fdb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • France

Congratulations for your great job.
I can feel the special spirit of the Big Wall Map.
It could be install in the main Hall of a railroad station.
I hope it will be install in the main hall of the Park House.

The question of the legend :
I think, there is too many informations on this map to make a legend.
A legend is necessary in a print version. In a wall version, the eye can't go to a corner of the map and then in the other to look the legend with too many entries.
In Bordeaux,France, there is a huge map of the railroads in the Southwest of France. In this case there is a legend : Diesel line, Electrical line, one meter large line. And that's all.

Your map is great and clear.

I hope i could later make a job as nice as yours !

Sorry for my english.
François de Bercegol
www.geoscript.fr

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Canada

Too both François,

Thank you for you posts,

François de Bercegol
C:I think, there is too many informations on this map to make a legend.
A legend is necessary in a print version. In a wall version, the eye can't go to a corner of the map and then in the other to look the legend with too many entries.
R: In sum I will not be adding a legend for in part the reasons you mention. But I do like Dennis McClendon's suggestion about making a simple legend along the bottom of the map.

Francois Goulet
Thank you for the positive feedback.

Here is what will be done following the comments that have been posted in the thread,
1. I will keep the spot heights but will remove some.
2. I will add labels 'Parc de la Gatineau' along the park's boundary as to clarify the limits.
3. Yes the lakes are 'actually greenish blue colour' as Charles mentioned but that will be considered in a next version... :)
4. I have reviewed and fixed the symbol issue noted by kru
5. Last I will test making gridlines a lighter lineweight, greyer colour, or make them dots spaced a little further apart as Dennis suggested.

I will posted the published version before summer's end.

Any other comments are most welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

alanb

alanb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Lao People's Democratic Republic

Superb! Superb! Superb!

I have been making a map similar to this of a national park in Laos using bump mapping techniques in ArcGIS, but having difficulty creating the subtlety of colours that you have. Those colours (faded greens) are soft and powdery and while being visually very appealing really help the information you are presenting really pop! I would love to find a way to create such an effect! Any pointers to any tutorials anyone?

Well done!

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Canada

Sorry I did not see your post before,

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the techniques used. I must say I am a TRIAL and ERROR cartographer. I use a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop to get the effects I want. Also I would tend to believe that the design for a map of a national park in Laos would be different then one in Quebec. Getting a localized look is not an easy task.

However as most cartographers I tend to be visual, and the work of others can help us along our creative process.

I would suggest to look some of Tom Patterson essays and work on Natural looking map for the American National Park Service.

Also post your work here and I am sure other cartographers would be more then willing to make suggestions.

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

GIS xtra

GIS xtra

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • India

It is looking very nice and informative. good job !! (i couldn't see any legend).

alanb

alanb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Lao People's Democratic Republic

Sorry I did not see your post before,

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the techniques used. I must say I am a TRIAL and ERROR cartographer. I use a combination of Illustrator and Photoshop to get the effects I want. Also I would tend to believe that the design for a map of a national park in Laos would be different then one in Quebec. Getting a localized look is not an easy task.

However as most cartographers I tend to be visual, and the work of others can help us along our creative process.

I would suggest to look some of Tom Patterson essays and work on Natural looking map for the American National Park Service.

Also post your work here and I am sure other cartographers would be more then willing to make suggestions.

Regards,

Yes, Tom Paterson, of course. He is my hero and i have been trying to create the very same effects as seen in his maps of the US NPS. That is why i like your map so mach. It seems to be from the same "school" of cartographic realism.
Very effective!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->