- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mithokey

Mithokey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello! This is my first ever post on here and I'm just wondering something...

For Canada, what Map company owns who? I've heard that Mapmobility owns MapArt and CCC Maps now owns RandMcNally Canada and Perly's. I also heard that CCC Maps owns MapArt. Does anyone know who owns who?

aallen

aallen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Canada

For Canada, what Map company owns who? I've heard that Mapmobility owns MapArt and CCC Maps now owns RandMcNally Canada and Perly's. I also heard that CCC Maps owns MapArt. Does anyone know who owns who?

Mapart bought out Perlys and Rand and called it CCC, CCC are NO-longer around so its just Mapart, from my understanding.

Andrew Allen

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

c

Mapart bought out Perlys and Rand and called it CCC, CCC are NO-longer around so its just Mapart, from my understanding.

It's more complicated than that. CCC is still around but is part of a group of companies that includes MapArt Distribution. CCC still makes maps, distributed by MapArt. MapArt also distributes maps by MapMedia/MapMobility with whom they used to have a very close and strong relationship with. When Peter Heiler, who owns MapArt Distribution, bought CCC, it kind of ticked off the owners of MapMedia and, as a result, they had a falling out. But they still do business together, just not as much. CCC now shares offices with MapArt in Oshawa but is still officially a separate company.

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Canada

Rudy,

I remember doing I bit of work for Dun-map (Ian Dunlop) a few years back. I am not sure but I believe they are also part of this complicated equation.

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

I heard that Ian is no longer involved with Dun-Map, though that may just be rumor. The MapArt name, by the way, was originally the name for just MapMobility. Heiler started using it years after Hart Schwerdt founded MapArt. They agreed that Heiler would use the name so that the branding (associated with high-quality maps) should be shared by the two companies. It's ironic that the name should only be associated with the distribution company now.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

I heard that Ian is no longer involved with Dun-Map, though that may just be rumor. The MapArt name, by the way, was originally the name for just MapMobility. Heiler started using it years after Hart Schwerdt founded MapArt. They agreed that Heiler would use the name so that the branding (associated with high-quality maps) should be shared by the two companies. It's ironic that the name should only be associated with the distribution company now.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Ironic, yes, and now a subject for the courts to decide . . . .

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

The courts? Are you serious? Has it come to that?

Dun-Map: Their home page now verifies that they've merged with MapMobility.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

The courts? Are you serious? Has it come to that?

Dun-Map: Their home page now verifies that they've merged with MapMobility.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Well, the last time I had heard anything was back in March. It had been before the courts but seemed to be on the back-burners of both companies while they continued to do business with each other. I don't know where they both stand now but I'd be surprised if it was any different.

Mapmoblitiy seems to have tried to move away from their reliance on paper map products and towards more of a digital product / data / cartographic consulting company. So all of DunMaps acitivites got rolled into MapMobility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->