8 replies to this topic

Schley

Schley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

This was created as an end-sheet spread map for Scholastic's middle-grade mystery novel "The Mastermind Plot", an upcoming sequel to "The Midnight Tunnel", by Angie Frazier. The setting is a fictional neighborhood in Boston around 1900.

For most of my literary maps, I've been developing an inking style reminiscent of golden age pen and ink interior illustration.

Hope you like. :)

Attached Files

Mike Schley
Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.com
Twitter – @schley

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

I love these kinds of maps and I think you've done an excellent job of capturing the old pen and ink style found in many older books. Is this actually done with pen and ink? (I can't imagine doing it in some computer app) Did you use any kind of references for the buildings or draw them purely from imagination?

How big will the final map be when printed? I'm only wondering because if it's at the full size we see in the enclosed map it should work, but if it's smaller I think the text might be hard to read (or maybe not, since it's for a children's book. :lol: ).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

How fun! And I love that it is black and white. Thanks for sharing it with us.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

What a beautiful map! Thanks so much for sharing :) My only feedback would be to either a. reconsider the font for easier reading or b. increase the spacing and size by 1 or 2 pt's.

I hope to be inspired by more of your work in the future. Thanks again!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I can't help but think that today's children would be helped by seeing what a "trolley" looks like. So I would draw parallel tracks laid in the street and one or two trolley cars along the line.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Schley

Schley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments guys!

Now that you mention it, Dennis, a little trolley illustration and track lines would have been great!

Dave,
Thanks for the kudos! I use Photoshop exclusively for these types of pen & ink style book illustrations. The pressure sensitivity of my Wacom Intuos 4 tablet allows me to control my inks with a drawing process that's very similar to traditional ink on paper. Add the advantage of Photoshop's tool sets and it's heaven.
Mike Schley
Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.com
Twitter – @schley

rustish

rustish

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nice and pretty. Good job!

berrys

berrys

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

I used to love these kind of maps when I was a kid. They let your imagination in to walk around them. You feel as if you are there, picturing the buildings, adding colours and learning the geography. Good work!

DigitalNinja

DigitalNinja

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

Wow ... I am new to this but that map is incredible. I wouldnt underestimate middle grade reading levels (reminds me of Enders Game) but would agree its a tad hard to read the font ... maybe just make it bigger since it fits the style of the map perfectly. Amazing map though ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->