Maplex to Annotation for ArcReader product
Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:04 PM
I'm new here on CartoTalk and have a question for which I already thank the community here in advance. What a wonderful resource this is, but I digress. I'm in the final stages of the first phase of making a map for the Santa Cruz County Search and Rescue volunteers. The map is essentially a blend of a street map, USGS topo, and a state parks map.
So far, I've used Maplex to label the streets, trails, parks, rivers, water bodies, contours, cities, and counties, and the results have far exceeded my expectations of what was possible without using annotation or any other graphic design software, namely Mapublisher/Illustrator. Here's the problem, the map is slower than molasses to draw and I can't just print off a map book using data driven pages--because the search planners want to be able to zoom and pan--we've decided to publish the map for use in ArcReader.
To speed the map up I just figured I'd convert labels to annotation for each extent (there are 5) and I'd be golden. The only problem is that when converting the Maplex labels to annotation, I'm running into the same problem that people have been complaining about for years, and that is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the labels that are placed (and placed very well) in Maplex actually convert to annotation.
I've tried most workarounds found here and elsewhere with no luck. Any suggestions?
GIS Analyst, Center for Integrated Spatial Research
UC Santa Cruz
Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:44 AM
The only problem is that when converting the Maplex labels to annotation, I'm running into the same problem that people have been complaining about for years, and that is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the labels that are placed (and placed very well) in Maplex actually convert to annotation.
Conversion to annotation should be a WYSIWYG experience and if you're not seeing that, you should submit a bug report to us, preferably with a sample of your data so we can try and repro the problem.
I've never seen this supposed 1/3 to 1/2 of labels disappearing - sometimes one or two are unplaced or some of the labels move slightly but nothing more than that. If you are converting to feature-linked anno, I would suggest it was a licensing issue, but in that case you wouldn't be allowed to convert to annotation at all.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users