josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi,

When you do a google search (say for 'Amsterdam' or 'South Yarra') a small google maps link shows at the top of the SR page and shows a faint grey outline of the boundaries of this area or district. When you click the map and go to the main google maps page it is gone. Does anyone know where this polygon data comes from and (if so) whether I may be able to get my geo-hands on it?

Merci

Josie ;)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

When you do a google search (say for 'Amsterdam' or 'South Yarra') a small google maps link shows at the top of the SR page and shows a faint grey outline of the boundaries of this area or district. When you click the map and go to the main google maps page it is gone. Does anyone know where this polygon data comes from and (if so) whether I may be able to get my geo-hands on it?

Interesting data indeed. Just some observations based on spot checks:

- It doesn't seem to work all the time. E.g. my hometown, "Klundert", does not generate such a boundary, whereas "Moerdijk", which is a much smaller town but has a big industrial area attached to it, does.
- They're not municipal boundaries in The Netherlands. I have no idea what they've used over here, it doesn't look like any dataset I am familiar with.
- It looks like for the US they are "city" boundaries, so those would be available through the US Census. In Belgium they are municipal boundaries.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • United States

When I try this for my local area, the boundaries are fairly dated and match up with available census data.

At least for Texas, it looks like they got their data from the US Census.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->