tonyw

tonyw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I've just joined CartoTalk, this looks like a very lively and active group. I use GIS in the course of my work which primarily is assisting clients in planning the use of lands and natural resources. I enjoy the occasional times I get to fire up the GIS software and create maps to show spatial relationships in information. I have been using Manifold for the past 6 years. For clients with limited budgets I use qGIS when introducing GIS to their organizations. I'm looking forward to joining the conversation here and learning more about mapping and cartography.

I'm based in Vancouver, British Columbia on the west coast of Canada. The climate is mild, we rarely get snow, and the food is great (very multicultural).

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

Hi Tony!

I'm just a bit south of you across the border in Bellingham, WA.

qGIS is one of those things that I keep meaning to pick up and learn but I haven't quite gotten around to it, so I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunity to share your tips and tricks while learning more about cartography around here. It's a great little community.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Hi Tony, and welcome. I'm in Nelson, 8 hours east of you. Similar weather, except we get a white Christmas here!

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Off topic here but This guy is from Vancouver so I have to say this but Tim Thomas is going to be your worst nightmare. Lord Stanley will be parading the streets of Boston while Luongo will be chased for choking again as Vancouver is downed in five.

Back on topic welcome to the forum.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

tonyw

tonyw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Canada

qGIS is one of those things that I keep meaning to pick up and learn but I haven't quite gotten around to it, so I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunity to share your tips and tricks while learning more about cartography around here. It's a great little community.

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the welcome. I think you'll find qGIS really easy to pickup. In a one day session, I get complete newbies (school age) to the point of adding shapefiles, drawing their own points, lines, areas, adding data to tables, and georegistering imported images plus give them a primer on projections so they can reliably import data. For people with no GIS experience but have experience using maps (field people) and are comfortable with using PC''s they can be self-sufficient in basic map making in about 3 hours.

qGIS works well for folks in British Columbia as the provincial government has set up a WMS http://geobc.gov.bc.ca/ (note, the service is down the May 27/11 weekend for maintenance) and serves up hundreds of map layers on natural resources and land use in the province. I provide my clients with a basemap that has links I have pre-set up to the more popular WMS layers (roads, shoreline, hillshades, lakes, rivers, towns, forestry tenures, surveyed properties, parks, mining claims, etc.). Then the client can add their own shapefiles and check mark a box to turn on whatever WMS layer they need as background. Because the basemap only has links and no data, the basemap project file is small it's easy to email updates.

cheers,
-Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->