- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Vestry

Vestry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

First time poster so any tips would be appreciated!

I have a layer of building footprints where some of the buildings have wings and additions.

e.g. The Orange Building with Red Wing and Yellow Wing.

How would I be able to label the 2 wings without breaking apart the footprint for the entire building? Just an annotation class?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

ArcGIS?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • United States

For auto-placed labels you would need some way for whatever labeling engine you are using to distinguish the different features to be labeled.

Assuming ArcGIS (but I would think other apps would have similar workflows):
The simplest way I can think of is probably to have a separate feature layer for labeling, that could be points for the label locations or polygons.
You might be able to do something with different label classes for the main building and each wing, with conditional statements and positioning, but I think that would be more work than it's worth, and you would still need an attribute to label with.
If you don't need auto-placed labels, annotation is probably the way to go. You could start with auto-placed labels and then convert to annotation and further refine and add to that for your wings.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Vestry

Vestry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

ArcGIS?

Yes. With an Editor license.

For auto-placed labels you would need some way for whatever labeling engine you are using to distinguish the different features to be labeled.

Assuming ArcGIS (but I would think other apps would have similar workflows):
The simplest way I can think of is probably to have a separate feature layer for labeling, that could be points for the label locations or polygons.
You might be able to do something with different label classes for the main building and each wing, with conditional statements and positioning, but I think that would be more work than it's worth, and you would still need an attribute to label with.
If you don't need auto-placed labels, annotation is probably the way to go. You could start with auto-placed labels and then convert to annotation and further refine and add to that for your wings.

Thanks for the options. I think label classes might be the way to go in this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->