Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Map creation using CSS for online display

http://mapbox.com/#/

I've been following TileMill for sometime now, but only watching/waiting for the Windows release (not sure if this will happen).

But I may give in and wipe my laptop to install Ubuntu...

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

It's quite cool.

I installed Virtual Box on my machine and ran an Ubuntu 10.10 as a VM. Installed TileMill as per the instructions on their home page and it runs perfectly!!!

Love it!

redbeard

redbeard

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Now is there a way to use their mapbox format with openlayers instead of just using straight files? Handling one file is much more efficient. It'd be nice not to need to configure a web server.

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Now is there a way to use their mapbox format with openlayers instead of just using straight files? Handling one file is much more efficient. It'd be nice not to need to configure a web server.

This will definitely need a web server.

You could of course, export your map as a PNG from TileMill un-tiled, and then port that into Zoomify or Zoomit...

With TileMill, you export mbtiles (at various zoom levels), then with a tileserver, like TileStream for instance, that can be fed into a web-browser that uses OpenLayers.

Like if you install TileStream from that site, it displays all your data with OpenLayers as an example.

redbeard

redbeard

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

That's what I figured. I was hoping a simple js might be able to get at the tiles in the database. But it's still a pretty sweet option.

Tom MacWright

Tom MacWright

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

That's what I figured. I was hoping a simple js might be able to get at the tiles in the database. But it's still a pretty sweet option.

Hey redbeard: Yep, you'd have to export MBTiles. You can turn an MBTiles file into plain image files with node-mbtiles, but it isn't recommended - a map's worth of tiles is unwieldy.

Nowadays there are many options for hosting MBTiles files - MapBox hosting, or any of 10 or so open-source servers: https://github.com/m...Implementations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->