Photo

Cartographic Design Software

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: What software do you use most often to do the bulk of your map DESIGN work.

What software do you use most often to do the bulk of your map DESIGN work.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have restarted this poll to increase it's visibility and because I wanted change the choices to be more representative.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Maps often pass through a number of applications before they are finished. I would like to know which application people use most often to do the bulk of their map DESIGN work.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Just curious why Canvas GIS doesn't get a mention here? I know it fits in Other app, but its more GIS oriented than just AI or Corel?
regards Richard

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Good point, I know this poll was started years ago, so maybe Canvas wasn't a viable option at that time. I did try it once, but it wasn't able to pull me away from my favourite Illy/MAPublisher combo
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I'm not quite sure how to answer this question. Our shop primarily uses Freehand, but I don't. I occasionally use Illustrator at the office and at home and CorelDraw at home. Now, if I had my choice, my mapping software of choice would be ArcMap . . . but the office isn't there yet.

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I began my career using Freehand, and occasionally Illustrator to design maps. For the last 4 1/2 years, I've been using ArcGIS exclusively in my 'day job'.

My command only has a license for ArcGIS. No Illustrator or Freehand license for me here. And they do not want to add one here, for fear that it would make it harder to hire in for this position, including Illustator/Freehand as another skill needed for the position.

The challenge for me, cartographically, has been to bring those cartographic sensibilities to ArcGIS. It can be done. You just have to give it a chance.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Base map design
    Modern &amp; Historical map techniques
    Hillshading techniques
    Modelling (Geohazards, Habitats, etc.)
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

I began using Surfer and MapViewer 4....but that was awhile ago. Now I use ArcGIS to produce my maps. I believe that ArcGIS has a lot of potential for map-making. Even though I try to challenge myself in not having to go outside of ArcMap to achieve my goals, sometimes I have to.
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Basic layout is done in ArcMap, but it is limited, and somewhat cumbersome to work with when you have a lot of elements. Finish work is done in Illustrator.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

My projects involved a combination of ArcGIS software for the production of the data with the Graphics software package CorelDraw providing the finished product. I didn't care much for 3D & Spatial Analyst for the creation of the hillshade because I had found the quality was lacking therefore Topogrid was & thanks to a handy AML script the work was done quickly & easily.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

evilsmithsonian

evilsmithsonian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Just curious why Canvas GIS doesn't get a mention here? I know it fits in Other app, but its more GIS oriented than just AI or Corel?
regards Richard

I Checked with ADC, who owns Canvas now, being that the software combines GIS and the illustration capabilities of Adobe Illustrator and it sounded perfect for cartography. The one huge element missing in the program is that it does not have the capability to generate a street (for that matter, any other item on the map) index. The combination of MapPublisher and Adobe Illustrator can but it is quite pricey once it is all set up.

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

In my limited experience I have used ArcMap exclusively. I had the opportunity recently to acquire Adobe CS3 bundled with Illustrator and Photoshop for a good price. So, now I am learning to use AI and PS. I have read everything on this forum and Avzenza's website regarding MAPublisher. I have not found anything on CartoTalk about Geographic Imager. Can anyone elaborate on that...? Thanks
Bruce Hensler

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I had the opportunity recently to acquire Adobe CS3 bundled with Illustrator and Photoshop for a good price.

Where? I'm looking for both packages, if I can get both of them in a bundle I'm all there.

So, now I am learning to use AI and PS. I have read everything on this forum and Avzenza's website regarding MAPublisher. I have not found anything on CartoTalk about Geographic Imager.

Good point but then I haven't heard anything on a GIS called Map Professional or Gratis. I have done the same with MaPublisher, rate now it's a very expensive package for a starting cartographer, overtime though I hope to incorporate both Publisher & Imager through the $1500 bundle package. BTW if I'm reading Avenza correctly is the license really $2200?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I use exclusively ArcMap for my day to day work load. But, I do feel that using Illustrator w/ Mapublisher is best for creating higher end maps than ArcGIS.

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

regards Richard

I Checked with ADC, who owns Canvas now, being that the software combines GIS and the illustration capabilities of Adobe Illustrator and it sounded perfect for cartography. The one huge element missing in the program is that it does not have the capability to generate a street (for that matter, any other item on the map) index. The combination of MapPublisher and Adobe Illustrator can but it is quite pricey once it is all set up.

I agree it falls behind MAPublisher but for the price it does a lot. I'd suggest its a very good option for those that are on a rather tight budget.
Automation features can be a real time saver and Canvas is let down somewhat here.
regards, Richard

MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I voted ArcGIS, but I have recently gotten into Inkscape for some map creation.

JoeFraser

JoeFraser

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

I'm wondering how many folks use AutoCad Map 3D for map creation. I'm in first year Carto at COGS and we have a course on it. Does anyone prefer this program to others? Can anyone outline the strengths of AutoCad in mapping?

The reason I ask is because learning doesn't come easy to someone unaccustomed to the program, as the commands can be elusive, buried in menus and sub-menus, coloring and queries are overly complicated - the list goes on. I'm looking for a silver lining here, something to act as a cushion while I bang my head against the wall that is AutoCad Map 3D!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->