• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Evaluating my Cape Breton Highlands National Park I found that while I had produced a good map there were some problems that were pointed out publicly on this site & privately. Examples of these problems included:

• - using the smooth tool created better coastlines / shorelines but I did not take into account that I should have re-created the waterbody. As a result the waterbody did not match the shorelines
  • - used the default 90° on my shaded relief, changed it in Fundy to 315°
  • - The shaded relief could have been better quality then what it was however there have been recent improvements
  • - Swamp symbology needs to be better
  • - I was on track to a simplified map, so that was good news

So here I go again but this time I've tried to map Fundy National Park of New Brunswick. There wasn't many maps or digital data to work with, so using a dozen sources, (mostly information sites) to interpret to the best of my ability of the locations of interest, & hiking trails. Similar styles have been applied to Fundy compared to Cape Breton & it's my hope that I can get this to production quality.

I'm also considering database design work from the two maps. But for now here's the link to Fundy National Park:

http://annexmaps.com...tional Park.pdf (updated link May 25, 2011)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

Just a couple of quick observations:

I think there needs to be a stronger correlation between the inset maps and the boxes on the main map. The inset for Pointe Wolfe is quite far apart and it doesn't really show anything that couldn't be on the main map. Also, the two inset maps have their own north arrows but the main map doesn't have one. Maybe put one north arrow on the main map and leave it off of the insets?

I first viewed the PDF in OSX's Preview which had font substitutions due to the fact that Frutiger Condensed is not embedded in the PDF. Something to keep in mind before the final release & printing.

Is this map something that you're doing on behalf of Parks Canada? Having "Parks Canada" (but not the maple leaf logo? ) prominently displayed in the top left corner might be misleading if you don't have an official connection. The US National Park Service is very specific about the use of their branding, and I would assume Parks Canada would be the same.

The © symbol is very very large. No reason to have that in the same point size as the title of the map! This may be nit-picky, but I've always felt that the "who" is more important than the "when" when posting a copyright notice. So "© James Hines, 2011" or "© 2011, Annex Maps" rather than just "© 2011".

Just west of Bennett Lake, you indicate that there is a picnic table right in the middle of the road. Seems like a dangerous place for lunch.

Also very nit-picky (apologies in advance!) : In the legend, the maroon oval for "Lakes Trail" is not aligned with the other labels.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Hasdrubal,

It is a very clean and concise map. I would find it useful if I were to visit that park.

Here are a few things that I noticed.

Your trail system text: I don't like how the descriptors have the same space between them as the next trail. I like how you have different colors for the name/distance of the trail and the descriptors are in black, but I would make it more like one paragraph per each trail. Not only would it link the descriptor witht he trail, but it would also save you a lot of space.

I don't remember your other map or how you did the swamps, but I don't think that you reconciled the problem. The swamps look like Jelly Bellies on this map. Of all the elements on this map, those are what I notice first.

Looks like your waterbodies are on a lower layer then your NP Boundary. In areas the boundary covers the lakes and makes the streams seem segmented (on East Branch Point just south of Wolf Lake).

Some river labels are hard to read b/c of the NP boundary, give them some space.

Your inset raster are pixelated.

Does the boundary really end in Chignecto Bay?

You've got some green stuff in your title.

Hope this info helps. Thanks for posting,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Having been there a couple of years ago I remember the place being much hillier than it would appear to be on the map. Is there any way of enhancing the hillshading or adding major contours to emphasize this? See Google Maps' version - not that I think you should go this extreme. Just that the place is a little rougher than it would appear in your map.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Having been there a couple of years ago I remember the place being much hillier than it would appear to be on the map. Is there any way of enhancing the hillshading or adding major contours to emphasize this? See Google Maps' version - not that I think you should go this extreme. Just that the place is a little rougher than it would appear in your map.

First off I have read all of your comments & making the changes necessary to improve the map. And to address Rudy's comment regarding the shaded relief:

Attached File  Image.jpg   46.96KB   63 downloads
The image is another one of my hillshades except this one is in feet contour intervals as opposed to the ones in metres.

Of course the sample is also before translation to feet made in 10 metres intervals. The hillshade in the geo-pdf is at 30 metre intervals & the reason is the fact that at 10 metres along the rivers there were a lot of pixels that should not have shown up.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

First off I have read all of your comments & making the changes necessary to improve the map. And to address Rudy's comment regarding the shaded relief:

The image is another one of my hillshades except this one is in feet contour intervals as opposed to the ones in metres.

Of course the sample is also before translation to feet made in 10 metres intervals. The hillshade in the geo-pdf is at 30 metre intervals & the reason is the fact that at 10 metres along the rivers there were a lot of pixels that should not have shown up.

What data source are you using for contours / hillshade?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

What data source are you using for contours / hillshade?

Correction 10 metre contours & it is NTDB.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Just a quick question: Why is the Rossiter Hill hiking symbol in the middle of nowhere (i.e., not attached to a dotted trail signifier)?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

Just a quick question: Why is the Rossiter Hill hiking symbol in the middle of nowhere (i.e., not attached to a dotted trail signifier)?

Your five minutes too late on that one. I just fixed that error. :P

What happened was that during one of my editing stages I had found that I had to fix the line to make as accurate as possible but that required a move of the symbol so that work could be done. Knowing my short term problems, (excellent long term memory), I had forgotten all about that symbol.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

Just wanted to post a final overview of the project. From this point on I'm not quite sure what I should do with this project other then I would like to try to market in some way. Whether published, a fan club, or even swinging an unlikely contract or employment with Parks Canada.

Fundy National Park Project Overview

Welcome to the Fundy National Park Project. It has taken awhile but the finalized version of the project has been completed over in a span of relatively a year & a half. And it gives me great pleasure that with the completion of the project that I have taken this long journey to self reflect on what area of the geo-sciences field where I can flourish & happily enjoy what I had created . And though there were problems; towards completion I found that the creation of this kind of project (Recreational Park Maps) gave me such an opportunity to fine tune my skills & learn my weaknesses as a cartographer. Therefore in my opinion Park-Recreational products is along the lines of a found niche that I am learning to master in the geo-sciences field.

So fellow cartographers & members of the interested general public I would like to submit the final submission of Fundy National Park. If it’s as good quality as I think it is then you should be able to enjoy the finalized design & the data that I want you to see. Because at the end of it all the plan is to use this map as a springboard in such a way to offer those who plan to go into this park a very detailed way of exploring this park.

You see one of the reasons for the creation of this map was that out of all the information that was available on the internet I could not find any map on this park in as great detail as the information that was available from the numerous resources that was in total. In other words information found on one map or on the internet in non cartographic format may not have been found in a single product. So the search was on for the information from some old & new maps which was checked to current information on the web for its continued existence. Description of the trails were found on the web & added with digitized drawings in GIS files.

So without further due presenting “Fundy National Park” an informative map for those who wish to explore the scenic views of nearby Chignecto Bay, rivers, waterfalls, & geologic formations.

Fundy National Park

The map is a geo-spatial map viewable in PDF Acrobat 9.0+ & for those of you wishing to take a look at the map.without If you have MAPublisher can practice cartographic genetic screening of the product. For those who want a GIS look but don’t have access to MAPublisher I will soon be posting a spatial database.

If successful I will be looking to make sales on this product, & expand my portfolio to include additional park maps which will include a re-make of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park which I already have a lot of information ready to go for a finalized product to be on the market. Also if need be I will be looking to make contact with interested parties that have local interest in such a product such as fan clubs, & fan sites.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Hey Hasdrubal, I wanted to take a look but get a 404 file not found error when clicking on your link?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

Hey Hasdrubal, I wanted to take a look but get a 404 file not found error when clicking on your link?

I forgot to update the top link:
Fundy National Park

I'll do that now.

d_say

d_say

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Australia

Hi

I jsut had a quick look at your map and one thing that i did pick up on is your labelling of your streets. To me they are just not clearly legible. I would suggest that since you are using such a small point size for the text to use uppercase lettering so then you will maximise the space on the road.

If your not to keen on that idea then maybe increase the text size just a little bit more (I personally dont like to use less then 5point for text). In doing so you will need to have something backing the text so that it will block out the outline of the road running through your text.

Also just nudge your symbology over a bit more around your insert map bounding box (the one over your main map) They shouldnt overlap, i believe some form of generalisation here is acceptable :)
Also you have a lookout symbol on your main map taht is within the insert map bounding box (it also sits on the black line) however this isnt shown in your insert map...

I would also try and move your land based text labelling that crosses over land and water to be fully contained within the land.

I always try and make sure that my text do not cross lines, if they do i split that linear feature (if there is nowhere else to put the text) and i always try to keep land based text labelling within the land and water (ocean) based text labelling within the water feature.

Hope this helps

Deano

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Great work Has! I really like the layout and colors. I do agree with previous comments but am sure you are on your way to fixing those items.
I would add also to simplify (98%) or hand draw the administrative boundaries and wetland polygons. Also, when you revise the hillshade to ensure the hydrology fits perfectly - in many cases this requires hand editing :( but the finished look is memorable in a positive way.

Best of luck with this. Am sure you could sell this map if you print it!

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->