• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Madmonk

Madmonk

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi. I get a lot of maps in my office from our GIS guy, using ArcInfo 9.1. I'm using Adobe illustrator CS2.

I used to be able to manipulate them in Illustrator by having him export maps to pdf's. I could open up the pdf in Illustrator, right click, choose 'Release Clipping Mask' and/or 'Ungroup' (sometimes many times) and eventually I could manipulate each object (text, line, shape, etc.) individually.

Now, for some reason, I can't do that, at least not completely. When I hit 'Release Clipping Mask,' most of the objects are still combined. A few aren't, but I can't manipulate things like I used to be able to.

We have already tried exporting to an AI file and we looked to be sure that the Compress Vector Graphics option was not selected in the ArcView export dialog box. Now, I don't know what else to try. Can anyone help?

Or, if you know of any usergroups I might be able to post on, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

-mm

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Welcome to CartoTalk. I'm the guy who referred you from DealMac.

I hope one of our helpful Arc or Illustrator users will be able to help you.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

First thing I would check is how the file is layered and if there are any layers with transparencies in the file sitting in the top layers. If so, everything below is porbably getting rasterized during the export. That will be a problem with the illustrator format as well. Either export those layers seperately, rebuild the transparency effect in Illy or move the layer to the bottom of the stack and re-order the in Illustrator...

it sounds like this is likely your problem but in either case I would ask them to export the map as an Illustrator file. You'll still have to deal with the clipping paths and groups but the Illy export out of Arc is pretty reliable now. It also keeps your layers so that may be a time saver for your job...

Another option might be to check for compound paths...you may need to release all of them.

Others may have suggestions to deal with other issues. ESRI tech folks have been known to lurk and post around here...

Worst case scenario post one of these files up and we'll crack it open for you.

mg

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

I think Martin is right. Most likely there is something in the map that means ArcMap has to rasterize some of it on output. This can be caused by transparency, picture fill symbols, or picture marker symbols. With any of these in the map ArcMap has to rasterize the output for all vector file types, including EPS, AI, and PDF.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

gragra72

gragra72

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Italy

Hi
Usually I made my maps directly in ArcGIS. I find the layout tools really complete and powerful. Anyway (with my pc) Illustrator collapses if the map is just a bit complex (with some pictures or …DEM etc). I export in pdf (in *.ai is really impossible to work with…)
Any suggestions…(I can’t change pc!)
Bye
Grazia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->