• 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Has anyone had experience with Zoomify or MaPublisher Flash files translated to HTML5 via Wallaby. The literature I'm seeing (at least at first glance) seems to be about Flash animation rather than interactive applications.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Has anyone had experience with Zoomify or MaPublisher Flash files translated to HTML5 via Wallaby. The literature I'm seeing (at least at first glance) seems to be about Flash animation rather than interactive applications.

Looking at the Wallaby Release Notes, that interactivity would come out the ability to translate the action script to HTML5 (which at this time, is not supported).

But also keep in mind that HTML5 may very well make Flash redundant, especially with the new tags such as <video> and the much coveted <canvas> (the canvas tag is where I think the action script would be re-interpreted and maybe with some help from javascript). I remember reading somewhere that the W3C may not see HTML5 as a 'standard' till around 2022!

I noticed that they do have support for "buttons-visual" (but still no action script) so interactivity may need to be done manually with the CSS3/HTML5 scripting. Sticking with XHTML may be better for the meantime until HTML5 becomes more robust and commonplace in browsers.

Wallaby is only supported in webkit browsers (so IE and Firefox are out, only works on chrome, opera, windows/webkit, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->