5 replies to this topic

pfyfield

pfyfield

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • United States

Just curious if anybody has had a look at Illustrator or Photoshop CS 5.5. We are currently still using Illustrator 5 and Photoshop 3- we were told we could upgrade when the federal budget was settled (I work for a federal agency), that happens, then the next day Adobe comes out with a new version. Anything interesting about 5.5 cartographically?
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • United States

Wait, when did the federal budget get settled? :P

There actually is no Photoshop or Illustrator CS 5.5. They're not being updated with the "5.5" update, and will remain at version CS5. There are updates to InDesign, Flash... maybe some other ancillary programs. But nothing that is particularly interesting... unless you're making an atlas for the Kindle with InDesign. That said, not sure if you mean you're on Illy CS5 and Photoshop CS3 or literally version 5 and 3. If you're upgrading from Illustrator 5 (1993) and Photoshop 3 (1994, introduced layers!)... whoa! Not sure where to even start with everything that has changed since then!

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

There actually is no Photoshop or Illustrator CS 5.5. They're not being updated with the "5.5" update, and will remain at version CS5. There are updates to InDesign, Flash... maybe some other ancillary programs. But nothing that is particularly interesting... unless you're making an atlas for the Kindle with InDesign. That said, not sure if you mean you're on Illy CS5 and Photoshop CS3 or literally version 5 and 3. If you're upgrading from Illustrator 5 (1993) and Photoshop 3 (1994, introduced layers!)... whoa! Not sure where to even start with everything that has changed since then!

Actually, both Illustrator & Photoshop are 5.1 in CS5.5. There seem to be some bug fixes in both releases, enough frankly that it caused us some (minor) grief with Geographic Imager (No problems that we can see with MAPublisher). If you have CS5 already, I'm don't think there's anything for you worth upgrading to in CS5.5, at least if Illustrator & Photoshop are your only interests. I'm not sure what else in the Creative Suite is updated but presumably there are more significant updates in there somewhere to make it worth their time.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • United States

Actually, both Illustrator & Photoshop are 5.1 in CS5.5.

That's interesting. Everything I've seen from Adobe says there aren't any feature updates, so I would hope that if 5.1 really is just bug fixes, that they would be made available to everyone.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

That's interesting. Everything I've seen from Adobe says there aren't any feature updates, so I would hope that if 5.1 really is just bug fixes, that they would be made available to everyone.

We tried to get a straight answer out of them about that but it was a little tough. Not because they were being intentionally opaque, but because we couldn't seem to get a hold of a person who had an authoritative answer. I kind of assumed that any bug fixes in 5.1 would be pushed in some form to CS5 users, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Seems odd to me, since there is no other difference (i.e. no additional features), so it might just be a lack of understanding (ours or the person we talked to).
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

pfyfield

pfyfield

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the info- actually what I meant to say is that we are currently using Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop CS3. I can't think after 2:00 PM.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->