4 replies to this topic

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Hello, people. Here is the map I've made for a friend's web site.

In the past 150 year the river Danube has changed it's course partially for natural reasons, and somewhat due to the irrigation works in area (canal, river ship docks). Being once in the same country (former Yugoslavia), this issue was a secondary problem and was never resolved. However, after Yugoslavia disassembled, this issue is likely to be solved either by bilateral arrangement or by arbitrage.

Serbia - Croatia border

For those with enough spare time, I have another link to checkout. For last couple months I've been working on low-scale info world map, in my language. As you will see, it's far from complete, yet I'm interested in suggestion on map looks. I've been focused on Mediterranean an Middle East regarding map data (surely, map is almost complete for my own country - you may zoom deeper in are of Republic of Serbia ) .

Here is the link www.serbiamap.net

Regards!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

Very nice clean-looking maps!

The border map does seem to give precedence to the Serbian version of the border. It comes first in the title and legend and the symbol stands out more. I think part of the reason the symbol stands out more is because more of it is on the river, but it's also heavier and darker and seems to overpower the Croatian border symbol, especially where they overlap.

It's fun to look at the world map and see familiar places like southern California with "foreaign" translietrations to the place names. Makes it seem it a bit more exotic. :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

What's the backend for the serbiamap.net? Looks like ESRI Server? Is it something different?

SNIP

For those with enough spare time, I have another link to checkout. For last couple months I've been working on low-scale info world map, in my language. As you will see, it's far from complete, yet I'm interested in suggestion on map looks. I've been focused on Mediterranean an Middle East regarding map data (surely, map is almost complete for my own country - you may zoom deeper in are of Republic of Serbia ) .

Here is the link www.serbiamap.net

Regards!

Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

magictune

magictune

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Yugoslavia

Thanks for the answers. As for the border symbols, actually, I thought that red color for border would stand out more, but, I seems that I was under wrong impression :) . Indeed, the blue line is just a little bit thicker as it is de facto border at this point in time (red one is proposition) - my mistake, I forgot that map legend is not in English.

At the moment, www.serbiamap.net serves static tiles made on my computer and uploaded to server. Most of data are from public datasets (adapted for Serbian language), for terrain I've been using naturalearthdata.com shaded relief, and the majority of data for Serbia is from personal and acquired GPS tracks (there is mobile application for gathering data from mobile users), partial data from some older projects, site user contributions, etc ...

Berni

Berni

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

magictune, a nice start-up map :) Actually, and a well-structured map for Serbia. It makes things easier with zoom function

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->