2 replies to this topic

DavidFrank

DavidFrank

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to make a map that shows how many residences are within a quarter and half mile walking distance of a shopping corridor. Regular buffers won't work because it doesn't take into account the fact that the roads twist and turn. I've been experimenting with Network Analyst, but haven't had any luck. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you and take care,

Dave

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to make a map that shows how many residences are within a quarter and half mile walking distance of a shopping corridor. Regular buffers won't work because it doesn't take into account the fact that the roads twist and turn. I've been experimenting with Network Analyst, but haven't had any luck. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you and take care,

Dave

I saw a similar student project done out of the Centre of Geographic Sciences in Nova Scotia by a student in 2008.
A network was used to 'define' a community/neighbourhood based on access to amenities.

A Geographical Neighbourhood Study in Dartmouth: Assessing Neighbourhoods Based on Walking Access to Amenities

http://www.cogs.ns.c...urhoodsEDIT.ppt (31.7mb)
http://www.cogs.ns.c...rhoodsFINAL.pdf (15.7mb)

from ppt:
Attached File  Malls_WalkingTime.PNG   272.23KB   42 downloads

I do have his e mail if you would be interested in chatting with him to see how it can be revised for your exact query. It would help because I remember there were some inherent limitations in both data and software (arcgis 9.x). At the 9.x level, there are some networking bugs that he took note of and noted them in discrepency notes like how to incorporate actual walkable paths (so paths in community forests, fields, parking lots...). Not sure if those are pointed out in the Final report or not.

Good luck.

DavidFrank

DavidFrank

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello Everybody,

Thank you and take care,

Dave

I saw a similar student project done out of the Centre of Geographic Sciences in Nova Scotia by a student in 2008.
A network was used to 'define' a community/neighbourhood based on access to amenities.

A Geographical Neighbourhood Study in Dartmouth: Assessing Neighbourhoods Based on Walking Access to Amenities

http://www.cogs.ns.c...urhoodsEDIT.ppt (31.7mb)
http://www.cogs.ns.c...rhoodsFINAL.pdf (15.7mb)

from ppt:
Attached File  Malls_WalkingTime.PNG   272.23KB   42 downloads

I do have his e mail if you would be interested in chatting with him to see how it can be revised for your exact query. It would help because I remember there were some inherent limitations in both data and software (arcgis 9.x). At the 9.x level, there are some networking bugs that he took note of and noted them in discrepency notes like how to incorporate actual walkable paths (so paths in community forests, fields, parking lots...). Not sure if those are pointed out in the Final report or not.

Good luck.

Thanks for those links Donovan! He mentioned on page 6 where to go on the ArcGIS Desktop Help for instructions on how to perform that particular type of analysis. It worked!

Thanks & Take Care,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->