Steve Young

Steve Young

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I'm looking for a method to create a 3D buildings model of a city using LiDAR, orthos and a footprints shapefile. Searching around the web I've seen several academic papers that suggest several approaches have been successfully implemented over the past 10 years.

Is anyone on the list aware of a process or software product that makes this a reasonably straightforward process?

Thanks,

Steve

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hi Steve!

I'm working with Terrasolid LIDAR software suite (TerraScan, TerraModeler, TerraPhoto). It is add-on software for Microstation CAD software. So in a way it is all-in-one solution. Building roofs 3D extraction can be straight forward (in semi automatic process) but it is really depended on LIDAR quality and density. If you have good buildings footprints and adequate LIDAR point cloud then it is possible to get a LOD2 3D city model. If you have really good building footprints (<10cm accuracy) or LIDAR using a special flying pattern then it is possible to get a 3D model with roof overhangings. Usually the real problem is how to cut 3D buildings into topologicaly right and useful 3D model.

If you have some specific questions, please send me a PM.

Lui

Jeffrey Blyseth

Jeffrey Blyseth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi Lui,
Do you provide 3D services for cities? I'm looking for a way to get collada models and textures for a 3d project that will require 2 square mile models of 5 different cities.
Thanks,
Jeffrey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->