Noob to Cartotalk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

egwess

egwess

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Hi I'm currently an Archaeology Technician Intern at Joshua Tree National Park, Southern California.. I want to pursue parks archaeology and I love GIS.. and data management for archaeological sites is generally pretty wanting from what i've seen of the national parks.

Looking forward to learning a lot with Cartotalk on how to make things work well and look cool with GIS!

LIZZY

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome, I think you will learn loads of useful things here!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

That sounds like an interesting job/field (although, I wouldn't want to work in Joshua Tree in the summertime. ha ha). Welcome !
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • United States

Hi Lizzy,

My grandfather lives in Joshua Tree and many of my most cherished childhood memories were forged in that beautiful landscape. Summertime or not, I would take a job in Joshua Tree in a heartbeat!

I'm surprised that you mentioned that the data management program is lacking. From my extremely limited experience talking to NPS archaeologists and watching them methodically dig through and screen a patch of land up here at Ebey's Landing NHR, I got the complete opposite impression. The size of the team and attention to detail astounded me. And all of that activity was in response to someone finding a single human tooth that I would have mistaken for a pebble. :)

NPS (and for that matter, the SHPOs) keeps most of their archaeology info hidden from the public in an effort to protect sites and artifacts from looters. As an outsider, I've always just imagined this treasure trove of complete awesomeness that the Top Secret NPS Archaeology Data and Mapping Center must house. I picture a place like Hollywood's version of NORAD, except filled with people like me. So, please don't tell me that it doesn't exist! :)

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->