Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Please join in the discussion on how to make your maps better over at:
www.gretchenpeterson.com/blog. It begins with a few ways that I thought of to help make your maps better. See what ideas the commenters have too.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Gretchen - I read your 5 suggestions for making a map better and, although some of them might have some merit, I don't feel I can agree with them. No more than 30 minutes to design a map? Keep the orthophoto or hillshade fully saturated? Surround all elements with boxes? These all might work in some cases but definitely not all cases. I appreciate the effort to improve map quality but I find these a little simplistic.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

It was an April Fool's joke. It says "April Fools" if you scroll down far enough. There were a lot of additional "suggestions" by folks in the comments including "use the default map template" and "make your north arrow the biggest thing on the map layout." Ha!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Being posted at 4:20 in the afternoon does not qualify this as an April Fools Day joke. It has to be in the morning so that makes you an April fool for posting late. Therefore you lose points on your late assignment. ;)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

It was an April Fool's joke. It says "April Fools" if you scroll down far enough. There were a lot of additional "suggestions" by folks in the comments including "use the default map template" and "make your north arrow the biggest thing on the map layout." Ha!

Ok - so it was a joke . . . unfortunately, too often this sort thing happens so I could be forgiven, I think, if I took it as being a serious endeavour.

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Being posted at 4:20 in the afternoon does not qualify this as an April Fools Day joke. It has to be in the morning so that makes you an April fool for posting late. Therefore you lose points on your late assignment. ;)

I'm really not following why it matters when on April Fool's Day a joke is played. But if that is very important to some people it may help to know that the post went live at 10:12 AM MST. The blog's posting time has never been configured properly.

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

I'm really not following why it matters when on April Fool's Day a joke is played. But if that is very important to some people it may help to know that the post went live at 10:12 AM MST. The blog's posting time has never been configured properly.

Gretchen, I just read your blog. Absolutely hilarious! All of my pet peeves in one place!

Re: the timing on April Fool's Day... See April Fools Day. Maybe it only ends at noon in Canada now. :D
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Gretchen, I just read your blog. Absolutely hilarious! All of my pet peeves in one place!

Re: the timing on April Fool's Day... See April Fools Day. Maybe it only ends at noon in Canada now. :D

Very late to the party....loved it Gretchen!!

but...no comic sans for labels? :)

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->