• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

If I send a AICS5 file that is created using MAPublisher to another user of AI but not MAPUblisher is the integrity of the file intact?
Or does the opening and editing (text, georeferenced lines, polygons etc) and then subsequent saving destroy that when it is returned to me and opened again at my end?
I can appreciate objects not on map layers could cause fun if I rescale etc at my end.
regards
Richard

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

If I send a AICS5 file that is created using MAPublisher to another user of AI but not MAPUblisher is the integrity of the file intact?
Or does the opening and editing (text, georeferenced lines, polygons etc) and then subsequent saving destroy that when it is returned to me and opened again at my end?
I can appreciate objects not on map layers could cause fun if I rescale etc at my end.

If the file is saved by a version of Illustrator without MAPublisher you're almost certainly losing the MAPublisher attributes (eh... I say almost certainly, because I can't check it, don't have a version of AI without MAPublisher around).

Depending on what these edits are, this may not be the end of the world. If the artboard size (and position of the map on the artboard) doesn't change you can open both files and use the copy - paste in front technique to get the edited layers across. You'd still lose the attributes, but with some careful workflow planning that does not have to be a problem.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

thanks Hans.
I'd thought of just seeing what happened, but am concerned there may be things go on 'undercover' so to speak that one doesn't find out until it's way down the track.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm not so sure. I was always under the impression that MAPublisher was simply using the comments field of AI to store attribute data about objects. So once the attributes are put into the AI file, that file can be opened and resaved by any version of AI—even one without the MAPublisher add-ins—and the attributes data will stay unchanged in the file. So obviously it would be a problem to move an object or combine them, because the attributes would not get revised, but otherwise the data should survive unchanged until the file is back on a machine that has MAPublisher and can look for the data.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->