• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Marcar

Marcar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Australia

Dear All,

I have just graduated as a cartographer, and I have been offered a job of producing a map for an organisation (at my home).
Can I accept the job although I do not have registered business?
Who is to obtain copyright approvals – me or them?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have just graduated as a cartographer, and I have been offered a job of producing a map for an organisation (at my home).
Can I accept the job although I do not have registered business?
Who is to obtain copyright approvals – me or them?

Whether or not you can accept the job on personal title or as a business depends on your local business and tax laws. Check into that first. You also want to make sure you have officially licensed versions of the software you're going to use.

What do you mean by obtaining copyright approvals? Copyright on the finished product? That would initially be yours, as you've created it, but it can be transferred to your client. That's something you need to negotiate with them.

I'd suggest you check with the Chamber of Commerce, or whatever the Australian version is called. They should be able to give you plenty of information.

Hope this helps. For additional information, I recently wrote an article on this together with Derek Tonn. Gretchen Peterson also wrote about that subject for Gisuser.com
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

My own (Canadian) experience says that you can accept the work as a person - this sounds just like freelance work. There may or may not be advantages to creating your own business. With regards to copyright ownership, as Hans says, it is your unless you specifically give that up to the client. They may request it but unless it is explicitly stated, the copyright is yours. Good luck.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Hans, the link to the CP article is broken.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hans, the link to the CP article is broken.

Here it is: http://www.nacis.org/CP/CP66/CP66.pdf
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

The short answer is you can do anything you like. If someone wants you to do some work for them then that's a compliment to your skills.

As someone who has freelanced for many years you will need to register a business and set yourself up for charging GST through the Australian Tax Office. If this is something you want to pursue long term then I suggest getting advice from an accountant. If the job is financially worthwhile then definitely get financial advice.

I take the view that if your client is paying you good money to do a job for them then they own the product, therefore copyright resides with them. On the other hand, this is something that can be negotiated, and if they want to save some money then maybe you retain the copyright to the work. In business everything is negotiable.

If you're starting out you may want to reduce the cost if you get some promotion out of the production.

Good luck with the job and if you need any more advice there's many wise heads in this forum.

Cheers,

Craig
Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au
craig.molyneux@spatialvision.com.au

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

If they (client) accept you then all is well.
I practise as a registered surveyor but do not have a registered business.
I've worked like this in private practise (as we call it) for yonks.
I have an ABN and collect (charge) GST.

If you earn less than the threshhold (not sure how much - check Tax Office) then don't worry about GST.
There is no requirement to operate as a business and unless you need to charge GST due to your turnover then you do have a competitive edge when it comes to pricing for those clients who can't claim the GST back from the government.

I know there are advantages to have a business name but it costs to setup and it costs to administer.
Get some proper advice before plunging down that track.

All the best and enjoy using the skills you have and the knowledge you have acquired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->