• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

snobblepopkin

snobblepopkin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Forgive the remedial nature of this question, but I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to draw polygons that exist "only" in specific layers in ArcMap 9.2.

I'm tracing a satellite photo SID in order to export to Illustrator, but right now everything I draw seems to be on the top layer, I can't seem to get them limited to specific layers that I can turn on and off. It's a problem because I want to export the polygons separately in different layers, not as 1 big thing.

I've created a shapefile and created layers, but when I start editing and draw, the polygons are not bucketed in a specific feature layer. Can someone either tell me how to draw lines and whatnot in 1 layer? Or link to the documentation that will help me?

Thanks so much for your time.

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hi there

You could either creating separate shapefiles to store the different types and keep changing your target before you draw the polygon.

OR...

You could create a geodatabase and set up domains or subtypes..which is basically a preset list of layers, and then when you create a polygon you can choose the subtype it belongs to....

But it comes down to managing one single shapefile with different types of polygons OR many shapefiles, each containing one type of polygon.

Hope this helps...
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

snobblepopkin

snobblepopkin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Hi there

You could either creating separate shapefiles to store the different types and keep changing your target before you draw the polygon.

OR...

You could create a geodatabase and set up domains or subtypes..which is basically a preset list of layers, and then when you create a polygon you can choose the subtype it belongs to....

But it comes down to managing one single shapefile with different types of polygons OR many shapefiles, each containing one type of polygon.

Hope this helps...

I will give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

My experience is that - depending on the number of different polygons - it might actually be easier and faster to digitze them all in the same polygon shapefile, then export the holw bunch to Illustrator and spearate them into different (newly created) layers there. Once you ungroup them in Illustrator, you should be fine dealing with single polygons. Depending on their attributes and how they were symbolized in ArcMap, you may be able to select groups of polygons by select>same>fill colour or something similar in Illustrator.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

Kathi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->