3 replies to this topic

liz1110

liz1110

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I've just upgraded to Illustrator CS5 and am playing around with Manifold export to .ai format. When I open up the file in Illustrator, I'm really not sure how to proceed. Everything winds up on the layers that were created in Manifold, but there appear to be groups or clipping masks on each layer and I am not sure whether I should ungroup or release the clipping masks before doing anything with the layers. I tried releasing the clipping mask on my roads layer and as a result the lines wound up extending outside the extent of my map. Very messy looking and I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that. Also, the labels that I exported from Manifold cannot be edited. Each letter in the label is a separate object instead of being one editable word.

I had gotten familiar and comfortable with Illustrator CS2, so it was quite a shock to switch to CS5 and suddenly feel like I haven't got a clue. If someone could provide a series of steps to follow when opening a Manifold export in Illustrator to get to the point where I can edit text, change linetypes, colors and linestyles, apply graphic styles and insert symbols I would really appreciate it. Is it possible that I am not choosing the correct export settings in Manifold?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Liz Cruz
Liz Cruz

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I've exported from Manifold to CS% successfully as AI file. When opening in CS5 it does come with groups and clipping masks. What I've done is selected all the features, then released the clipping masks, then go around and clean up the objects used to make the clipping masks. Yes, items extend beyond the clipping mask and make everything look messy but I found this to be the best approach.

With regards to text, it will break up on curved features but should be okay for straight-line features.

liz1110

liz1110

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your advice, Rudy.

When you say that you "go around and clean up the objects used to make the clipping masks" can you provide some specifics as to how you accomplish this? I just released all the clipping masks in my file and it created a huge mess. Good thing it's only a practice file :D
Liz Cruz

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I don't have it in front me right now but I recall that the clipping mask would be the extent of the page that you set uo in Manifold. The objects that made the clipping masks would be the same size as the page. you could go to the edge of the page in Illustrator and select them all (without selecting anything else; wireframe seems to work for this) and delete them. As for the objects that extend beyond the clippnig mask, that would require manual deletion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->