13 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Well, this may seem not to be carthography, but it is... with a lot of infography.
It's just an example of using DEM data available from NASA and other sources of our solar system, adapted to WCS and then rendered. The Mars Volcano and the moon one are real ones, with real data. The other ones are... well.. the Mount Saint Helens adapted to the illustration requirements.
Its a work from 2003, so I dont remember exactly the details.

Attached Files

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Of course it's cartography because what I see are samples of other worlds. If & when human civilization does start to colonize new planets, 'M' class moons what will it mean for cartographers? Lets say that a new golden age is what it means for our field, which means more jobs, more money, & far more demand. But it goes beyond that it will be an exciting time for anything related to geomatics, to be able to map, & participate in naming new lands would make us all part of history. Personally I would love to be selected to be part of a project showing a design of what ancient Mars would have looked like in the ancient past with water, vegetation, & a breathable atmosphere.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Yes it will be great. Some times when "carto-graphing" I seem to be in the moon, but others I wish I'm in Mars.... Perhaps in the future I'll be. I hope that in Mars my clients dont make me wish to be back in earth. ;-)

Of course it's cartography because what I see are samples of other worlds. If & when human civilization does start to colonize new planets, 'M' class moons what will it mean for cartographers? Lets say that a new golden age is what it means for our field, which means more jobs, more money, & far more demand. But it goes beyond that it will be an exciting time for anything related to geomatics, to be able to map, & participate in naming new lands would make us all part of history. Personally I would love to be selected to be part of a project showing a design of what ancient Mars would have looked like in the ancient past with water, vegetation, & a breathable atmosphere.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to do such interesting and creative work!
Laura

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Fernando, that is just plain beautiful! It reminds of pictures at the begining of the 'Times Atlas of the World' my dad had, not sure if it has cross sections of volcanoes but it had things like fish in the sea from the shallows to the deeps and these beautiful topographic 3d renders of the Ocean floor....hand painted, this was before computers could do that stuff.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I lpve that kind of stuff!
especially when they are well done like those.
Mappo girl is right. I have had few opportunities for these kinds of graphics myself but they are always enjoyable.
Anybody else have examples of cut-aways or similar kinds of carto-graphic hybrids?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Yes, sometimes this type of work is greatful, so I can discinnect from carthography and apply some hand drawing and art, that in carthography is not always accepted as carthography.

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to do such interesting and creative work!
Laura

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

Anybody else have examples of cut-aways or similar kinds of carto-graphic hybrids?

Some time ago I made a volcano, too. (I also have an animated version.)

Attached Files

Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello Jean Louis
I have several of these type... for example... I studied Mathematic Geodesy as my specialty in university, pure formulas (here I am.. ;-) )... We never saw a Geoid in 3D.... Here is my 3D view of the geoid I made 15 years ago with EGM data for an article about it...
Its heights (undulations) exagerated so they can be percieved, as the geoid is not as topography and is a "smooth" surface.
The second one is about meteors and dinosaurs... the terrain is a real one, but then it was deformed with a sinusoidal function in SURFER, rendered and... hand drawn...
On the right upper corner, the type of craters were made with an invented DEM and hand drawn.

I lpve that kind of stuff!
especially when they are well done like those.
Mappo girl is right. I have had few opportunities for these kinds of graphics myself but they are always enjoyable.

Attached Files

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Great, I like specially the 3D effect of lava and the earth's layers.

Some time ago I made a volcano, too. (I also have an animated version.)

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I liked that volcano and also the comet impact illustration.
The only example I have of that type is a graphic explaining the Great Lakes system I did quite a few years ago.
I wish I had more opportunities to do stuff like that. Unfortunately I seldom get requests for them.
Attached File  Great_lakes_graphic.jpg   844.9KB   54 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

The only example I have of that type is a graphic explaining the Great Lakes system I did quite a few years ago.

That is a very nice image!
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Looks great.
"Unfortunately I seldom get requests for them"
I think, people think cartographers are not people capable of this type of illustrations... I normally send my work book as cartographer, clients think of a "cold and scientific" ... and I include many infography examples.
So... I have to use two aproaches: "cartographer book" and "infographist book"...

I liked that volcano and also the comet impact illustration.
I wish I had more opportunities to do stuff like that. Unfortunately I seldom get requests for them.
Attached File  Great_lakes_graphic.jpg   844.9KB   54 downloads

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Wow, excellent work all around! I have never done anything like these and I am in awe of your work. If anyone doubts cartographers can't do these kinds of beautiful illustrative works they should spend more time on cartoitalk. Ha!
(I know there are quite a few cartotalkers who do some of these kinds of maps and diagrams and graphics and do them very well)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->