- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

jmcglade

jmcglade

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am looking for an alternative software product for cartography other than ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator. The graphic quality in ArcGIS outputs is substantially poor when compared to outputs in illustrator, yet illustrator is not a true cartographic software package. Any open source? Any extensions to ArcGIS or Illustrator that would enhance performance? Read a couple referrals to MAPublisher in other forums, yet this package is too expensive ($2000+). Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I just checked the price of a new MAPublisher license & if you have a day job you should be able to afford the $1451.64. It's a lot of money if you do not have a job; but if you do no problem. I'll admit it's up a little higher from the $1250 awhile back but I think I can understand when Avenza tried to sell a separate license for geodatabase functionality separately. Well thank-god we all have import functionality in a regular MAPublisher license & because of this I say the cost of the slightly more expensive license is worth it.

You have to consider if your going to freelance you have to spend a little to get more. If you buy Illustrator + MAPublisher & use open source GIS the cost will be kept under $2500. That is pretty cheap. So bite the bullet & enjoy the extra income you shall receive.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

For vector part of my maps I'm using OCAD software. Powerfull and interesting color management and very strict symbology. Also a lot od output options. And some really advance features like XML scripting.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Bear in mind also that as a cartographer you will not be operating in a vacuum. If you are creating maps within the context of geographic analysis, you'll need to be able to at least access ESRI-formatted data. If you are working in the realm of print production, you will find yourself jumping through hoops to not use Illustrator and potentially the whole Adobe Suite... they are the industry standard. I'm afraid that despite the drawbacks, working back and forth one way or the other is how most of us end up working, unless we are able to carve out a niche for ourselves where there is little back and forth with either publishers or GIS folks.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->