Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Can MapPublisher import data from a PostGIS database? I couldn't see any reference to it on their website so i'm assuming it can not. If any Avenza people see this, do you know if this functionality is in the pipeline for future releases?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Can MapPublisher import data from a PostGIS database? I couldn't see any reference to it on their website so i'm assuming it can not. If any Avenza people see this, do you know if this functionality is in the pipeline for future releases?

Right now it can't, but I have lobbied for it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

From my understanding Avenza has partnered with ESRI so are you sure the contract doesn't forbid Avenza from allowing that to happen. I would also lobby for database import & topology tools to be included. God forbid maybe ESRI has designs on MAPUblisher as a replacement for ArcMap. Doubt it but you never know.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

From my understanding Avenza has partnered with ESRI

How do you reckon?
Red Geographics

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Not sure what Hasdrubal means in his post, but while indeed Avenza is an ESRI business partner I can assure everyone that Avenza will continue to develop MAPublisher as a universal tool for the best quality cartography out there. This does not preclude support for PostGIS or any other database or file format out there that we think our users want to work with.
There are many ESRI business partners who support formats and databases in addition to ESRI's.
For us, PostGIS support is just a matter of time as we are always busy on something new and exciting and simply need to find a way to schedule all our great ideas and plans into existence.
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Just to clear things when I said import I meant to say that it would be great to be able to export all of the created GIS files directly into a database.

"God forbid maybe ESRI has designs on MAPublisher as a replacement for ArcMap. Doubt it but you never know."

That was a joke but also a compliment since MAPublisher/Illustrator does a better job to display the information then ArcMap. And with all the tools being added lately especially in 8.4 I'm starting to feel a little ArcMap feel to portions of the software. Like the new "Map Themes" & the addition of Geodatabase import functions. On a side note I wish Manifold SQL Server database was more compatible with ArcGIS since I would like to be able to download it into MAPublisher & ArcSDE. Though it's detectable but unusable.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Netherlands

And a follow-up to this thread:

A viable workaround is serve the data from PostGIS as WFS. That can be imported into MAPublisher. Tried it the other day and it works quite nicely.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->