16 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Another option would be to export the layer with the join to a .shp file. I have noticed quite a bit of lag time working with joined data in ArcGIS.

I'd go with that too. If you export your data with a joined .csv file, the attribute of the .csv will be in the output shapefile. Should be easier and faster then.

It's not suppose to froze with "only" a couple hundred thousand features. I did it with millions. It was slow (5-10 minutes?) but it worked.

Creating an index would be a good idea too.

I tried this and that's what took forever. I joined the CSV to the SHP and the data shows up fine, I can scroll through the million+ attribute table with no problem but when I try to either select a subset of the table based on attributes or just try to export to a new SHP it takes forever. Last night before leaving work I ran a select by attributes, set the ArcMap.exe process in my task manager to realtime priority and left for the evening. This morning ArcMap was still just sitting there doing nothing.

I probably should mention I have ArcView 9.2 so the JoinField option isn't available to me.

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

So I think I solved my problem. I added the CSV tables to my ArcMap map then immediately exported them as DBF files. Then I added the shapefile to which I needed to join them and did so. Then I exported the resulting SHP as a new SHP and it worked in less than 2 minutes. What a difference file type makes! Thanks, everyone, for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->