• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Victoria Smith

Victoria Smith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

My name is Victoria Smith. I will soon be a graduate from Appalachian State University with a B.S. in Geography with a concentration in GIS. I am looking for an entry level GIS or Cartography job. My experience includes working for Dr. Lineback a professor at Appalachian State University. Geography in the News is a syndicated news column that is published online at Maps101.com and in a local newspaper. I created maps for each news article, over the course of a year. I also interned for a summer at the Army Corp of Engineers, Wilmington, NC, District, Regulatory Division. I produced multiple maps showing the Corps projects, Department of Transportation projects and where the Coastal Area Management Act (CAMA) and Trout counties are located. The maps also showed geographical figures of the area.

Thank you for the time you will take in reviewing my resume please find it attached at the bottom of the page.
~Victoria Smith

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would recommend that you include some of the maps you produced with your resume, especially maps where you had a great deal of design input on. If I were to hire somebody for a cartography job, I'd really want to see what they capable of in terms of map design.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Aside from a few spelling & (don't worry I'm notorious for that as well), & grammar mistakes you are certainly off to a good start. I would say though I want to see a little more information such as have you worked with alternative GIS systems outside ESRI, & what about AutoCad? You should also add your high school diploma to your education where it looks as though your only have the one degree.

"To obtain a position in the fields of Geographic Information Systems or Cartography"

- Change this because from an employer prospective I want to see a statement that shows me that youwant to grow with the company. All this tells me is "please please give me a job so I don't have to work at McDonalds. Or quite simply it's way too generic.

"Proficient in creating thematic and reference maps in Adobe Illustrator
o Skillful in creating thematic and locational maps in ArcGis"

- If I were to use terms to describing that I am good at something in this case thematic, or creating topographic maps it's better to simply have them in separate sentence eg. Proficient in creating topographic, reference, & thematic maps
- ArcGis = ArcGIS

Overall if I was doing the hiring I would at least put in you through a first stage interview depending on the quality of my other candidates.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Victoria Smith

Victoria Smith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I would recommend that you include some of the maps you produced with your resume, especially maps where you had a great deal of design input on. If I were to hire somebody for a cartography job, I'd really want to see what they capable of in terms of map design.

Is there a way for me to post some of my maps on this site?

~Thanks
Victoria Smith

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is there a way for me to post some of my maps on this site?

There sure is. The Map Gallery is a great place for showing off your maps and discussing them with other cartographers.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->