• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

aoakm

aoakm

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

I just wanted to point out that a few cartotalk folks have registered home locations as in Japan. My thoughts go out to you and your family and friends.

Be safe,

Aubin

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

If there is a nuclear disaster then it be interesting to note that it would be the third one in that country. The effects of this one & god forbid it happens because I would never wish it on them will have to be compared to the dropping of the bombs back in 1945. Japan in a bad way is the nuclear disaster capital of the world.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Bringing a map into this discussion.

My newspaper published a map of the radioactive plume today. Scary orange and yellow colors and... a legend without units.

Sorry for the bad iPhone photo: http://yfrog.com/h7lafnqj

So a logarithmic scale from 0 to 1 without any indication as to what those numbers represent other than the legend title saying "concentration radioactive materials". I can't get any meaningful information out of this and I'm a professional map user. Imagine what the general public will make of this.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I can't get any meaningful information out of this and I'm a professional map user. Imagine what the general public will make of this.

Exactly what the publisher wants: Danger!

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

I would like to add something also from me.

We were shocked watching on TV what was happening there.

Japanese people, we are with you together in that hard time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->