- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

wipegup

wipegup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

From my short perusal of CartoTalk, it does not appear there is a strong aviation base here, but I am hoping, and guessing you will all see something I do not.

For an assignment (now completed) I created a diagram depicting all of the instrument approaches into Walla Walla Washington (KALW). Although this is my first foray into actually trying to make a map, my two passions, aviation and climbing bring me into contact with a number of different maps.

So here's hoping you see something interesting. At this point I am polishing the map for the head of the local ATC for use in her briefings.

For reference almost all of the Data I used can be found here http://www.airnav.com/airport/KALW including the Gov't issued approach plates. Personally, and almost all the people I know instead use Jeppesen charts which are, well, not free and thus not included here. I can offer an overview of exactly what everything is (supposed) to mean, but it is a bit lengthy.

Attached File  KALW_Final.pdf   378.14KB   293 downloads

edit: Added information about Instrument Approaches

Attached File  IAP_Primer.doc   33KB   65 downloads

Edited by wipegup, 04 March 2011 - 11:25 AM.

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • No Country Selected

Being a glider pilot, all these IFR-related symbols doesn't mean a lot to me.

The only thing I'd like to see though, is a few hints on the ground - water, settlement - to relate the rest of the stuff to. I understand that this might be a bit tricky when you are limited to a gray scale setting. You can't generalize on the aviation stuff, every IFR-related installation must be on the map. In cramped areas, ground information may interfere with the readability. Colors would makes things a lot easier. A very light shade of gray might still do the trick.

(For you none-aviators: IFR = Instrument Flying Rules)

cartopilot

cartopilot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I have my private and about 50 hours of instrument training but not a rating (long story). If you ever need more aviation related perspective, feel free to contact me.

At first glance your map looks much like an approach plate. What may I ask does the tower chief plan to use the map for?

Andy

wipegup

wipegup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

At first glance your map looks much like an approach plate. What may I ask does the tower chief plan to use the map for?

I am not quite sure what the tower chief is planning on doing with the graphic, she mentioned using it in the briefing she gives to new pilots, though I do not know why she would want something so clearly dealing with IFR. Maybe she just wants something to describe the airspace and where traffic is likely to occur.

I designed the map to be easily usable by anyone familiar with either version of the IAP plates, and as such appears to be an approach plate. My main goal was to help foster spatial awareness during approaches which are by their nature and by their descriptions very linear. This idea mostly came from doing multiple approaches at one airport where while changing approaches there is period of insecurity when switching from one procedure to another

morgnboyles

morgnboyles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

William! how are you? When are you coming back to middlebury?

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Aviation, Travel
  • Honduras

Wish I saw it before! I work in aviation :D

My thoughts although late, are that the GPS waypoints over the thick lines are not quite visible. It would have been clearer if you just had put the RWY Approach and minima in a box for easy reference

RWY 02 Approaches
VOR/DME 1580 CIRCLE 1760

RNAV (GPS)
LPV 1423 CIRCLE 1760
LNAV/VNAV 1612
LNAV 1620

The 4 nm reference in the holdings not really sure what you meant? Usually the symbol for nautical mile is NM uppercase. If this was for pilot briefing on the whole IAP structure I find that all the additional information you added for the RWY was excessive. The RWY markings are normally placed over the RWY thresholds putting them by the side confuses a little.

Finally I would have tried to separate colorwise (maybe a different shade of grey) RNAV from CONVENTIONAL procedures.

Overall I like it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->