Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm working with some street centerline data in ArcGIS where I want to make visible two different classifications, from two different columns in the attribute table:

CLASS
1 arterial
2 collector
3 local
4 minor
9 freeway ramp

STATUS
N public
P private
E easement
U unimproved

Help me think through the best way to do this in Arc. Should I do a combination of the columns so that I end up with 2N, 2P, 4P, 3E, etc., and then give each of the 20 variations a different color? Do I make a duplicate of the layer and give STATUS a 3 pt color highlight or casing below the 1 pt colored line representing CLASS? Or can I color by CLASS and then use different dash patterns for the STATUS? This seems best from a design standpoint, but how do I do it?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

DefenS

DefenS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

I like the dash pattern idea as well. You should be able to take care of this without calc'ing a new field. I have an example using major highway data I have on hand. You can use a combination of fields to get unique values for symbology. Notice in the screen shot the roads with FCC=A15 but with different shield types.
Posted Image
The line is a stacked cartographic line with alternating dashed line coloring..

spg

spg

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • New Zealand

We did something similar here a while back and duplicated the layers with a Class pattern over the Status colour. Reason for this was the output was a layered pdf and they wanted the ability to see them independantly as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->