13 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello again
This map is a very special one for me. It was a map done long time ago, about 10 years ago... when computers begin to be capable of making shaded reliefs and I was begining too my bussiness in cartography.
The map was composed in Corel Draw (I did not have a Mac) and shaded relief was accomplished with Surfer and my own programmed (in FORTRAN) programs. Then it was retouched in a program called Photostyler (some one may remember it). Part of the data to make the DEM was digitized on screen with another program I programmed (GENDEM) and part was just adquired to the Spanish IGN. The original map size is a DIN A1... 80 cm wide
Its amazing what I can make with a x386 proccessor, 256Mb of memory and the rsultant file is just about 5 Mb ... today I've just finished is just 20 cm wide and the photoshop file is about 256 Mb!!! ... ;-)

best regards

Attached Files

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

about 10 years ago... when computers begin to be capable of making shaded reliefs

Well, that's not quite true.....some of us were creating shaded relief in the mid-90s using Photoshop's airbrush tool. I remember being struck at how clunky it was, compared to a "real" airbrush! However, not having to start a job by having to air-spray a background over the entire area, perfectly smoothly, made it all worthwhile.

As always, your work is a pleasure to behold.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

SaultDon

SaultDon

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

Excellent topo map.

I make topo maps on a daily basis but with specs that come from Planners (they are the cartographers) and the maps often result in lost clarity (features become uninterpretable) and lacking meaning/purpose, like they are created without a sense of audience or use.

On my list of good topo map examples!

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Well Charles, I meant 10 + years... about 1995-2000. My neuronas are falling with more speed than my hair... jjajajaj ;-)

about 10 years ago... when computers begin to be capable of making shaded reliefs

Well, that's not quite true.....some of us were creating shaded relief in the mid-90s using Photoshop's airbrush tool. I remember being struck at how clunky it was, compared to a "real" airbrush! However, not having to start a job by having to air-spray a background over the entire area, perfectly smoothly, made it all worthwhile.

As always, your work is a pleasure to behold.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thank you Donovan,
I am of the opinion that in these jobs (i.e: cartography, painters, ...) having learned by making things the "old way" gives a lot quality to computer made works.
Perhaps because once the proffesional has learned that some things take a lot of time to do, and learns how to do by hand (analogic way) gives some patience to get a final result in a computer. .. Even in rush time jobs.
Because I'm the first one to forget in the final line of jobs that need to be done in a couple of hours that a good job requires some time and details are important... my own Devil says "well, Fernando, make a quick shaded relief, price is not worth the time".. ;-) But.... if you like your bussines....

Excellent topo map.

I make topo maps on a daily basis but with specs that come from Planners (they are the cartographers) and the maps often result in lost clarity (features become uninterpretable) and lacking meaning/purpose, like they are created without a sense of audience or use.

On my list of good topo map examples!

AlexYes

AlexYes

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Russian Federation

Marvellous!

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Nice map. But I see some space for hillshading improvement. Your main ridge line is in NW-SE direction so I would suggest you to use a different azimuth in hillshading or even better use a fusion image of several hillshading images where you vary an azimuth. Let me suggest: main direction 330°, others: 300° and 0°.

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thank you,
I use that technique on other map shading. I'll try it with this map if as soon as I can

Nice map. But I see some space for hillshading improvement. Your main ridge line is in NW-SE direction so I would suggest you to use a different azimuth in hillshading or even better use a fusion image of several hillshading images where you vary an azimuth. Let me suggest: main direction 330°, others: 300° and 0°.

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • No Country Selected

But your Camonis are impossible to see in major areas of the map. Consider a different color for these.

[Sorry for my misspelling, It's caminos of course]

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Escusue me ..¿camonis? what?

But your Camonis are impossible to see in major areas of the map. Consider a different color for these.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

¿Camiones, quizás?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

No Dennis, Camiones are "trucks", I dont think I've drawn any trucks in the map... trails yes, but the complete map stylism at 1:1 resolution (A1) is based in not perceiving the map vector features at first glance, but at first look I wanted that only shaded relief is seen.
I dont know what the word means neither in spanish or english...perhap "caminos" (trails) ?????
best regards

¿Camiones, quizás?

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Oops. Yes, I meant caminos, which we use in the New World for roads as well as trails. In Castilian, how does a camino differ from a sendero or senda?

I was so embarrassed (but not embarazada :o ) when I realized my mistake—but I couldn't get back to a computer in time to change it.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

jaja,...you are forgiven Dennis, in spanish (castilian) a road is "carretera" (the asphalted ones), camino is a wide trail, but it can be asphalted or not... usually it does not, but is a wide one.. for at least two cars wide.
Sendero or senda are mainly the same thing, a thin trail which allows just animal or person to walk. There's not a clear difference between senda or sendero, it has much to do with the conceptual meaning it describes. A senda is used mainly to describe a trail that is not really marked or clean or maintained... a wild "path".. i.e: "senda de los elefantes". (trail of elephants). In this case, it's a stational trail which may disappear when not used, but can be recognized.
In National Parks, in the country ide, between towns etc... little trails are senderos, which are always opened to walk (clean and relatively mantained).

If the word was caminos... as i answered above, they cantbe clearly seen because the map is reduced an 80%, and because when I designed the map I intended that vector features are not seen at first glance. Just a design mattter.
thank you

Oops. Yes, I meant caminos, which we use in the New World for roads as well as trails. In Castilian, how does a camino differ from a sendero or senda?

I was so embarrassed (but not embarazada :o ) when I realized my mistake—but I couldn't get back to a computer in time to change it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->