10 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello,
This week I was making a tourist map of sicily, when I remembered that in all these years I've made several maps of the island. I always make my maps from zero, I never "recycle" a map, so once finished I look in my huge hard disks and thousand made maps...
I think that it may be interesting for this forum to see the same territory with different treatment, so I selected some maps to post.
Think that some of these maps have more than 5 years...
best regards,

Attached Files

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Fernando,

AS always, I love the look of your maps. Great to see the changes over time. I'm curious about your source or process for the first map in this list (from the top). Anything you can share?

Dorn
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Hello Dorn
Well, the first map is the most recent one. For instance its just finishd for the Spain version of National Geographic.
The map is make up with SRTM DEM Data rendered in Visual Nature Studio and a Landsat Satellite image as overlay.
Its not just a rendered map with a 2Xor 3X vertical exageration, its rendered with 1X + 2X + 4X + 6X exagerations merged in photoshop with a masking technique, so the Etna and sorroundings appears 6X, but lower areas are 1X or 2X, depending, just and only, on the visual appearance (no thumb rule here).
This is required since Sicily's relief has a lot of little mountains that results in a "noisy" terrain when viewed in 3D with huge exageration factors, but, with little exageration, makes Etna no significant at all. So... I want the Etna and north mountains be distinguised... the trick is just to "eliminate" low mountains and exagerate the Volcano....
The texture is a mix of images from Landsat, shaded relief, slope shaded relief and green - brown hipsometry.
As always, and as a last touch... a very very light Haze effect in the background to force a 3D perception.
best regards.

Fernando,

AS always, I love the look of your maps. Great to see the changes over time. I'm curious about your source or process for the first map in this list (from the top). Anything you can share?

Dorn

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello,
This week I was making a tourist map of sicily, when I remembered that in all these years I've made several maps of the island. I always make my maps from zero, I never "recycle" a map, so once finished I look in my huge hard disks and thousand made maps...
I think that it may be interesting for this forum to see the same territory with different treatment, so I selected some maps to post.
Think that some of these maps have more than 5 years...
best regards,

Your work is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Fantastic, thanks for posting these!

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thank you very much. I hope to post some more maps this week

Fantastic, thanks for posting these!

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

That third one (with Sicilia in upper left corner) is really great! Well, they all are, but I particularly like that one. Is there some sort of subtle halo around the major waterbody names or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? Also, what did you do to get such a smooth and subtle slight bathymetric shading (i.e. how did you get the shallow areas to look so good)?

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello grethen
You are right, The main water features have a light halo to make the "integrate" more smoothly with the sea so they dont float over the background. A very light halo. Your eyes are correct ;-)
I apply an halo effect some times in maps to integrate and make text more readable. Both in water bodies and in earth zones. It's a more light effect than stroking the texts with a white stroke, but not always possible to use it.
The bathymetric effect was done using Btopo bathymetry dem as a source and, as this dem is a 1 km resolution dem with lots of "noise" , it was smoothed with surfer. Then the image was retouched in photoshop to smooth it and add some inner glow effects to the coasts.
Best regards

That third one (with Sicilia in upper left corner) is really great! Well, they all are, but I particularly like that one. Is there some sort of subtle halo around the major waterbody names or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? Also, what did you do to get such a smooth and subtle slight bathymetric shading (i.e. how did you get the shallow areas to look so good)?

gxritchie

gxritchie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Fernando,
I've just found the CartoTalk site. I'm studying for a doctorate at Edinburgh University and have been trying to locate a bathymetric map of the east coast of Sicily. 5m contours would be great but would settle for less. Could you direct me to a site that would show me this information?
thanks
Graham

Michael Markieta

Michael Markieta

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Canada

Hi Fernando,
I've just found the CartoTalk site. I'm studying for a doctorate at Edinburgh University and have been trying to locate a bathymetric map of the east coast of Sicily. 5m contours would be great but would settle for less. Could you direct me to a site that would show me this information?
thanks
Graham

Have a look at: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/

I have also listed a bunch of sources for free and open GIS data on my website here: http://www.spatialan...data-resources/

You will be hard-pressed to find 5m resolution bathymetry for free.

Good luck!
Michael Markieta - www.spatialanalysis.ca
Research Assistant - Department of Geography @ Ryerson University
B.A. Candidate - Geographic Analysis
Ryerson University
Toronto, ON, Canada

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hi Graham,
As Michael said, I think it may be hard to find for free (for instnce even paying) Bathymetric datawith 5m contours. Perhaps in some Italian institution they may have it. If not in digital format, at least some charts that may be digitized.
The Sicily map is at a scale in which with ETOPO5 or BTOPO30 is enough to represent features (look for them, they are frrely available)
I hope I have been usefull.

Hi Fernando,
thanks
Graham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->