josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello,

Something I have been wondering. Are UFIs (Unique Feature Identifiers) universal. So, what I mean is are they standard across all datasets? For example if London is 900400 in one set, will it also be the same number in all others?

Thanks,

josie :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Something I have been wondering. Are UFIs (Unique Feature Identifiers) universal. So, what I mean is are they standard across all datasets? For example if London is 900400 in one set, will it also be the same number in all others?

If by "other datasets" you mean "other datasets from the same supplier" then yes, it might be the same number, if that supplier knows what he/she's doing (I tend to be very skeptical about data standards and quality)

But if I want to make a dataset with a column that signifies a UFI and I assign number "1" to London, there's nobody stopping me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

No, I thought not, but I was just not sure if there was some sort of universal UFI set that I was not aware of :)

Thank you for confirming this for me.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Sometimes there are unique feature identifiers. In the United States each state has a FIPS code that provides the basis for other features such as census units...but if your state has islands then each part of the state may have a different Primary Key and the same FIPS code...I think the UN provides country codes that could be used as an identifier. Like Hans said it will probably depend on the provider, and the country for that matter.

HTH,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->