2 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hi everyone
This are to new maps I've done for this month of Historia National Geographic.
The jpeg compression make them to loose some details (specially the engraver texture in the Carlomagno's map). But I hope you like them
The Mesopotamia map, is a 3D view of mesopotamia with a marked (light blue) coast line as it was supposed to be on those days. It also incorporates a map o the city of UR. Both of them make use of a papire texture with some more textures to make them fit on those centuries. I tried other textures, as a stine one, but stone textures ussually make maps look too hard.

Best regards
Fernando

Attached Files

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Always a great pleasure to see your maps, Fernando.
I am struggling myself with a better way to do mountain landscapes. Do you do yours with a 3D program like World Construction?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello Jean Louis
Yes, this one is made with Visual Nature Studio (Version 2). On other maps I use other progrmas , ie: Natural Scene designer, or on some special cases, 3D max, ArcGis or old programs from Amiga 2000 times ... other times.. SURFER... a very very good program for shaded relief making...
This time I used VNS, but it takes a long time to render and VNS always introduces "fractal noise", which in this case is not too bad, just because I mixed the image with a texture.
NSD makes smoother 3D views, but is not as versatile as VNS or WCS.
I Always use various renders in the same program with different overlays, ie: one render of the pure DEM in grays, one with a Shaded relief overlayed, one with a Satellite image, one with a slope image, etc.... and then I compose in photoshop applying other effects.
Two things that gives good results are to bend the terrain and using a little lens in the program (to make a titlt shift effect) and to add other additional graphic elements such as clouds....

Always a great pleasure to see your maps, Fernando.
I am struggling myself with a better way to do mountain landscapes. Do you do yours with a 3D program like World Construction?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->