• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

CartoMatt

CartoMatt

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

I use Illustrator with Mapublisher to create geographically sensitive maps, the current end product is just for print but creating GeoTiffs will be something I hope to do in the future.

Can Anyone tell me whether it is possible to export / create a GeoTiff from Illustrator with Mapublisher alone or whether another add on would be required?

And if this is possible where to start?

Thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I use Illustrator with Mapublisher to create geographically sensitive maps, the current end product is just for print but creating GeoTiffs will be something I hope to do in the future.

Can Anyone tell me whether it is possible to export / create a GeoTiff from Illustrator with Mapublisher alone or whether another add on would be required?

And if this is possible where to start?

Thanks

It's not possible to export a map from Illustrator directly to Geotiff yet. If you save the file as a PDF compatible AI, you can open it in Photoshop and rasterize it, then you can use Avenza's Geographic Imager to georeference it and export to Geotiff (or you can save as tiff and then write your own tfw file)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Hans is quite right, there's no one-step process to do this as yet, but it can be achieved with a few steps.

Using Illustrator's export command - File > Export... select tif as the export format. This will create an un-referenced tif file. Select the resolution and colour-space you require.

Create a new layer in Illustrator and in your MAPview palette drag this un-referenced layer to your existing map view.

Place your tif file onto this reference layer - it should be exactly at 1:1 scale with your artwork, so it will just be a matter of lining it up so that it fits perfectly with your file. To help this I usually create a bounding rectangle with no fill or stroke that I can snap the raster file to.

Go to Object > MAPublisher > Export Image... select World file (TFW) from the Georeference Type drop-down menu and Save As...

There you have it. You shoudl now have a tif file and accompanying tfw file with referencing information.

For more information have a look in your MAPublisher User Guide (p161) and Tutorial Guide (p84).

Good luck.

Craig
Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au
craig.molyneux@spatialvision.com.au

CartoMatt

CartoMatt

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks very much, i'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Matt

CartoMatt

CartoMatt

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks very much for your help, that worked a treat.

Matt

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

The method that Craig from Downunder mentioned is currently the best workflow to generate a geotiff from vector data in Illustrator. We realize that this has some extra steps that one ought not have to perform so we are planning on adding a straight rasterization and export function in a future MAPublisher release.
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->