- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

AlexYes

AlexYes

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Russian Federation

Geographic data was derived from openstreetmap.
The data was processed with ArcView 9.3.
Some Photoshop post-processing after that.
Empty spaces for text data or pictures or advertisement.
The map was made as the first one in my map designer portfolio.

The Sample I provide here is highly compressed due to very big original size of the map (app. 400 M). It's only 5,5 M but the main features are still clear.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Can you post a few detailed sections here, instead of the entire map through Rapidshare? It's too compressed to really say something meaningful about it, apart from the fact that it looks like you did it in WGS84 Plate Carree. For a tourist map, that's not a very good choice.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Looks like you have reached the maximum 10 download limit. Have you tried mediafire for hosting large files? Free and very good.

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

AlexYes

AlexYes

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Russian Federation

Looks like you have reached the maximum 10 download limit. Have you tried mediafire for hosting large files? Free and very good.

Thanx!
Mediafire link here:
http://www.mediafire...ujgtv342lzz3mym

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Hello, a language correction :

- "Légende de la Plan" -> "Légende de la Carte" or "Légende du Plan". "Plan" is a masculine noun.

But, as a cartographer, i never write "legend" on a map, i think it's obvious.

I think the big white areas are somewhat disturbing. The choice you made to represent buildup and garden areas are producting those white areas where there is boulevards, railroad stations, places.

The official arrondissements names are not much used, "Enclos St Laurent" is better known as "Gare-du-Nord - Magenta", for example. The numbers of the arrondissement are far more useful to navigate inside Paris.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very impressive map Alex. It is an ambitious project, and very nice that you received this detailed data from opensource into GIS. Would like to know if you could share this process in the GIS forum?

Thank you for sharing your map - best of luck with the marketing!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Tour Eiffel, not Toir Eiffel.

But who is the intended audience? Why are north-south distances so compressed? Why such a hard-to-read typeface?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

A lot of work there Alex.
Makes me feel like listening to some Yves Montand...
I would agree with all the comments above and add:.

-The green parks and the blue water are a little too electric, should be more muted to fit with the rest
-The fancy typo for Parks & other is distracting.
- The Légende can be made much smaller and there is no need for that stark box design at the bottom

You have a great start and a great subject. Keep it simple. Let the map speak for itself without anything else competing for attention. Hope you will post it again.

Like I.jegou said, do change that spelling gltich quickly. It jumps out and dominates the whole image

Спасибо
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

AlexYes

AlexYes

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Russian Federation

2 Hans van der Maarel:
You'd advice some European datum for this map, yes?

2 l.jegou
Thanks for correction! Your notes are important.
White areas close to railroad stations are branches of railways. I decided to draw only stations, so haven't drawn this branches. Also I tried polygons and big labels for them but it didn't suited the map too. So I left them white. And as for the gaps in the suburbs, they are the gaps in data which I downloaded from geofabrik.de. That's not good, certainly.

2 MapMedia
This process isn't complicated technically. I downloaded data from geofabrik.de and started to play with different styles to decide what data can be displayed without overloading the map. Also the data required some edition for a better visualisation (bugs deleting, generalizing, etc.). After that - a very long work with labeling.

2 Dennis McClendon
ups, thank you! I'll make a correction.
The intended audience is just my girlfriend that likes Paris. I've filled the framed boxes with pictures from flickr.com, printed it on 1,5*2,3 m paper and presented it on St.Valentines. Further I thought that it could interest someone else and posted it here.
North-south distances are compressed because of WGS84 projection. "Hard-to-read typeface" is chosen for sights and natural objects only. I tried to create more a piece of art that a rough and usable map.

2 Jean-Louis
Greens and blues are muted in the final printable version which is described in the previous comment.
I did't want to use only simple geometrically straight types, but I'll think what I can change.

Thank you all for the comments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->