• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

The amount of detail in this is crazy.......

Illustrated Map of Budapest
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Wow!

It's more an artistic rendering though, the geometry doesn't always match up. Very impressive nonetheless.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

embe

embe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Hungary

Hey Hans, what's wrong with the geometry? :)

Anyway, it is a not a map, but I just did not find a proper title in English for my graphics. It's my personal vision of my beloved city. The structure of Budapest is correct, but the scale, the propotions of the buildings, bridges are really subjective. I also put things into this "map" that are not exist anymore: eg. the half of the Elisabeth bridge is the old one which was destroyed in the WW2 or old streetcars and buses from different ages.

embe
(designer of the Illustrated Map of Budapest)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

This is really impressive! How did you do it?

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

Hey Embe,

Great to have you on Cartotalk. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to draw your map of Budapest? I was in Budapest several years ago, and spent a lot of time around the river, so I really enjoyed looking at this.

Don't worry too much about these guys and their geometry........ :)
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Embe,

What I meant to say is the same as what you already explained. It's more an artistic rendering than a map. Very impressive nonetheless.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

embe

embe

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Hungary

Hi, Gillian, Hans and Mr. Erin,

Thanks for your kind words. Of course I was joking about the geometry :)

There is an "architect and graphic designer" title on my business card, which means I am not architect nor graphic designer and certainly I do not even think of creating maps :)

I drew rough pencil sketches of the whole aerial view, more and more elaborated sketches, then small sketches of the individual buildings etc. I put then a large tracing paper on the sketches and I drew the detailed graphics with a technical pen. That's all.

It took exactly 10 weeks (in 1990) to finish BP Illustrated Map from the first scratch, including taking photos, collecting pictures from books, from libraries. I needed 20 working hours a day, an assistant (my wife) a tough deadline from a publisher and a pretty nice amount of cash in advance from the same publisher :). And - first and formost - I knew this city as much as the back of my hand.

Three years later we had a project with a Japanese businessman, to create such "maps" (of cities in Japan) with computer, I wanted to create 3D freehand perspective maps, which look completely diffrent from CAD. But it was almost impossible task on a PC in 1993 (!), we planed to use Sillicon Graphics but the project halted a year later, as we ran out of money.

Anyway, I plan to draw such "illustrated maps", "perspective maps" of other cities of the world - if I can manage those conditions I mentioned above.

Bela Magyar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->