1 reply to this topic

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Does anyone know of a webpage or blog that focuses on solutions for people stuck with the lower-end license for ESRI (ArcView vs. ArcInfo or ArcEditor). I keep researching things like custom database models, etc. except I'm constantly running into ESRI's cleverly/monetarily placed restrictions to the ArcView license (relating tables for example). For example I've looked into the ArcHydro data model, but you can't edit or update certain needed elements w/o ArcInfo.

I know there are summary tables, comparisons, etc. which show the differences between versions, but it always seems like I'm into the help documentation, reach a point where I'm like, that's exactly what I need, and then realize that it's only possible with the higher licensing and have to come up with some sort of workaround.

I'm wondering if anyone out there focuses on these workarounds, or if there's kind of a poor man's GIS solutions page out there?

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I'm wondering if anyone out there focuses on these workarounds, or if there's kind of a poor man's GIS solutions page out there?

ET Geowizards has some tools that duplicate ArcInfo functionality. http://www.ian-ko.com/

I'm not sure of any workarounds that allow you to manipulate relationships in a geodatabase. ESRI did release a free file geodatabase API, so you might see some extensions created or you could create your own if you are so inclined.

ESRI's web-based help is pretty good about saying what tools work with what licensing, e.g. Add Representation (Cartography) (ArcInfo only). I think there is a way in ArcToolbox to display all the tools, so you can see what is available with other licenses.

All in all their licensing structure is painful.

Hope that helps,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->