10 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

As I posted in December, I'll try to post more map examples along the year, if the work let me do so.
Well, Here is a simplified arqueologial map of ancient Hattusa, capital of Hitite empire.
The map uses some textures to try to make it look a papire (no too old), and at the same time it mixes a satelite image with a hand drawn shaded relief. The satelite image was filtred to get only the greenish zones, so the can be used to give some color to the paper and shaded relief.
Then, the archeological vector lines wher drawn in illustrator, and gived a little transparency to make the incorporate into the texture.
The pretended final result was to get a feeling of old papire, but with the clarity of 19th century arqueological maps.
It has been published in this month's Historia National Geographic, Spain.
I hope you like it.
Any comments are wellcome
best regards

Attached Files

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

I really love the effect of having the crisp 'graphic' information set against the faded shaded relief.

I hope you don't mind but I'm saving your maps in my 'inspiration' folder!

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

The vectors look great and I can clearly understand it although I speak minimal Spanish.

The background/raster is so pixiated/blurry I can not make out anything. Is this because you have submitted a low resolution, or is this your design style?

If you have a better resolution I would like to see it.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Kru,
The background is pixelated due to jpeg compression. In this map and in the otehr one I posted is happening this effect. Mu background are very sensible to compression due to the effects used. I 'll post two details of these maps with lower compression.

The vectors look great and I can clearly understand it although I speak minimal Spanish.

The background/raster is so pixiated/blurry I can not make out anything. Is this because you have submitted a low resolution, or is this your design style?

kru

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

I hope you don't mind but I'm saving your maps in my 'inspiration' folder!

I dont mind at all. I like to know someone can get inspired from them. thank you

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Kru,
The background is pixelated due to jpeg compression. In this map and in the otehr one I posted is happening this effect. Mu background are very sensible to compression due to the effects used. I 'll post two details of these maps with lower compression.

kru

That's what it looks like.

I don't compress my jpegs at all (aside from the normal jpeg compression that results from saving the file as a jpeg). I just open the map in photoshop>image>image size and I change the pixel dimensions to either 1024 pixels for a vertical or 1280 for a horizontal. That keeps my maps under 1 mb for posting to this site.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello Again,
Here is the detail in which the texture can be percieved. As it's a "gridded" texture (similar to papire) , when compressed to jpeg, the jpeg compression method is "added" to the texture pattern, so it cant be seen. This make important to send the map to print in a looseless format...

Best regards

[quote name='razornole' post='36799' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:35 AM'][quote name='EOSGIS' post='36793' date='Feb 7 2011, 08:33 AM']Kru,

[

Attached Files

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Gorgeous work, as always!
Laura

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thank you Laura.
I'll try to post later some new map examples.
best regards
Fernando

Gorgeous work, as always!
Laura

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Tan bonito Fernando! Tengo mucho entusiasmo sobre tus ejemplos. Muchas gracias! Tambien, gracias por la informacion sobre tu proceso.

Analisa Fenix
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Gracias Analisa
Espero poder poner más ejemplos a lo largo del año. Algunos de otros estilos que también realizo.
Thank you Analisa
I hope I'll be able to post more map examples along the year. Some maps with a more varied styles,
Best regards

Tan bonito Fernando! Tengo mucho entusiasmo sobre tus ejemplos. Muchas gracias! Tambien, gracias por la informacion sobre tu proceso.

Analisa Fenix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->