Jump to content

 
Photo

Terrago export to GeoPDF

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1
duncn40

duncn40

    Newbie

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am using Arc 9.3 and Terrago 5.2 to export GeoPDFs. The export works but is creating massive PDF file sizes. The maps are large and have numerous layers. There are about 5 large area polygon layers with stipple/hatch patters. I feel these layers may be part of the issue. I've tried them as representations, shapefiles, and they are in file geodatabases. Or these may not be the issue at all? Any suggestions how how to reduce these huge file sizes? They are exporting at about 35MB and they need to be below 15MB. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#2
Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

    CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Pro? If so, try running the file through its PDF Optimizer.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

#3
SaultDon

SaultDon

    Master Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BC
  • Interests:Environmental/Wildlife GIS, Aboriginal Land Use and Occupancy
  • Canada

There are about 5 large area polygon layers with stipple/hatch patters. I feel these layers may be part of the issue.


I think you have pointed the issue out with the hatching. This is a known issue with ArcGIS and the workaround is to remove the hatch, and replace the fill with a Picture Marker Symbol.

EMF usually works good.

You can test if these hatches are the culprit by removing them, and for the time being, use a simple fill, and export to see if that fixes anything.

#4
Kevin E. Coles

Kevin E. Coles

    Newbie

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I am using Arc 9.3 and Terrago 5.2 to export GeoPDFs. The export works but is creating massive PDF file sizes. The maps are large and have numerous layers. There are about 5 large area polygon layers with stipple/hatch patters. I feel these layers may be part of the issue. I've tried them as representations, shapefiles, and they are in file geodatabases. Or these may not be the issue at all? Any suggestions how how to reduce these huge file sizes? They are exporting at about 35MB and they need to be below 15MB. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks


Duncn40 - Sorry you're having this issue, I'm a TerraGo employee and can assist you with this issue. Please email me at: kcoles at terragotech dot com and we can go from there. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

#5
duncn40

duncn40

    Newbie

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks for the suggestions.

From some more recent export attempts, it seems that the area polygons with a simple fill are making the PDF size bigger than the area polygons with the stipple/hatch patters. Ive tried to generalize these polygons to eliminate excess verticies, but that hasn't had any real effect on the size.

#6
ELeFevre

ELeFevre

    Hall of Fame

  • Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Louisville, Colorado USA
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'd make sure the data is being clipped properly at the data-frame. If it's not being clipped you'll end up with a bloated file. You can always open the document in Illustrator to check for extraneous data or you can examine the document in Acrobat pro.



#7
duncn40

duncn40

    Newbie

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

I've also attempted to export to PDF via ArcGIS. It works and the file size is acceptable. The only issue is that the four corners of the map in the PDF seem to be not georeferenced. When I use the Adobe Geospatial Location Tool, I get the correct lats/longs except when I'm near the corners. The tool's crosshair disappers and provides no coordinate reading. Is this a known issue or is this just an issue with me. If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions that'd be great.

Thanks




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->