8 replies to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I have a file in arc with lots of point symbols. Trying to find an export workflow to retain them as either an editable font or polygon in Illy. Current attempts have resulted in non-editable font-like symbols, such as question marks or exclamation points, but not editable...

what is the best choice using Arc's Symbol Selector to end up with a useable polygon (or font) in Illy?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

In Arc export to AI under Options/Format select "Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons"

This will turn the symbols into vector polygons.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

There is a workaround if you still have a copy of Freehand kicking around. Just use the find and replace graphic on that layer. Use a simple point symbol in ARC that will have a clear center. Then bring it back into Illustrator. We can only hope future versions of illustrator will cannibalize FH's best functionality...

I'm assuming you've checked the convert symbol font to object option when exporting? Wonder why it is not working?

mg

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

I have a file in arc with lots of point symbols.  Trying to find an export workflow to retain them as either an editable font or polygon in Illy.  Current attempts have resulted in non-editable font-like symbols, such as question marks or exclamation points, but not editable... 

what is the best choice using Arc's Symbol Selector to end up with a useable polygon (or font) in Illy? What font are the marker's characters coming from originally?

m.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What version of "arc"? What version of "Illy"?

I just tried exporting a simple map with character marker symbols from ArcGIS Desktop 9.1 to an ai file. When I opened it in CS2 I got a message saying the "text" was created in an older version of AI so I had to convert/update to be able to edit it. Once updated and opend the marker symbols showed up correctly. And once I released the clipping mask I could edit the individual symbols as font characters. I believe you will need to have the marker fonts installed on the machine that you open the ai file on, otherwise it subsitutes the font (which is why you see things like question marks, etc. in place of your markers).

The other option when exporting from ArcMap is to convert the fonts to polygons. That worked for me, too.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

thanks guys! It was a little of everything you all mentioned... lack of compatable fonts, not realizing I had to release from clipping path... and no, in fact I didn't have the 'Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons' checked...

Now all is good, layers all exported as polygons and seem be happy in IllyLand.

m.
Michael Hermann

www.purplelizard.com

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

There is a workaround if you still have a copy of Freehand kicking around. Just use the find and replace graphic on that layer. Use a simple point symbol in ARC that will have a clear center. Then bring it back into Illustrator. We can only hope future versions of illustrator will cannibalize FH's best functionality...
mg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can run find and replace in an AI file by opening it from inside a text editor, and running find and replace in the postscript language.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

mg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can run find and replace in an AI file by opening it from inside a text editor, and running find and replace in the postscript language.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless you've used FH's Graphic Find and replace you probably dont know what I mean. It is sligthly more versatile than just a text find and replace...

But regardless I dont know if you can even still open new Illustrator files with a text editor. My experience has shown only garbled commands rather than the postscript of old.

BTW We never did find out if Mr. Herm just forgot to check the appropriate box on export?

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

you're right Martin I'm not a Freehand user, so don't know what that is all about. but we did use to solve the symbol problem when exporting files from ArcView to AI back in the day by fixing them in a text editor. it's very entertaining!

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

[quote=
BTW We never did find out if Mr. Herm just forgot to check the appropriate box on export?
[/quote]

yes, among other oversights, the core problem was a missed checkbox... I'm usually a very good trained monkey concerning these things, but time away from Arc has softened the brain. The next month will be Arc-intensive so I may be back with more mind-benders for you.

In addition to the RTFM approach, I picked up the book Getting to Know ArcGis Desktop. But now I have to read it...

m.
Michael Hermann

www.purplelizard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->