David25

David25

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

Can someone tell me the best place to find UK countywide data (DEM too if possible). I'd like to create a map showing tourist sites for fun. Any county is good, the more detailed the better.

I'm looking for roads, urban area, villages, maybe footpaths too if I go for a large scale map.

Thanks everyone!

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Hi,

Can someone tell me the best place to find UK countywide data (DEM too if possible). I'd like to create a map showing tourist sites for fun. Any county is good, the more detailed the better.

I'm looking for roads, urban area, villages, maybe footpaths too if I go for a large scale map.

Thanks everyone!

Have a look at the data provided by the Ordnance Survey, for free -

http://www.ordnances...bsite/opendata/

Land-Form PANORAMA includes a DTM and Strategi has roads, urban areas and tourist info etc.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

For county-level mapping you might prefer the OS VectorMap District dataset, see:

https://www.ordnance...d/products.html

The data is intended for mid-scale mapping, about 1:15,000 to 1:25,000, but could be used for smaller-scale projects. The dataset has problems and nothing has been done to make it easy to use, but it will give you some of the detail you require. Not footpaths and other rights-of-way, however.

As Greg mentioned, OS OpenData also includes (ancient) DTMs with posts at 50-metre intervals, but I'm not sure if 90-metre SRTM DEMs wouldn't be preferable. Contours at 10-metre vertical intervals are also available, as DXFs with no means (that I have discovered) of labelling them.

Regards,
Nick.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->