6 replies to this topic

Grzes

Grzes

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi everybody

I would like to share with you the maps, which I made for master's degree. Work included 35 maps of Australia on various topics, both the physical and economic maps.

Australia
Geology
Soils
Rainfall
Climat
Hydrogeology
Nature conservation
Forests
Mining
Elektricity
Agricultural production

Waiting for your comments and feedback

Cheers :)

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

Nice maps overall! Quite a project and probably fun to do.

The abundance of green on the first map makes Australia look much more lush than I think it is in reality. One of the hazards of using green for elevation tints.
It also looks like many of the lakes are wetter than I thought. Aren't many of them dry much of the year?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

misiakuu

misiakuu

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Poland

Grzes,

I really do like your atlas. I just had a glance at two first maps and there is one typo on geological map - in "Jurajskie".

Serdeczne pozdrowienia z Wrocławia!

PS. If there is pdf about how this atlas was made - I really would like to read it!

Cheers!

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

They look quite nice, really clean and crisp. Can you tells us a bit more about how you made them? Just a little bit like Software used? where you found the Data?

@DaveB - I agree the first map looks Australia look very green and lush, but I think the lakes are symbolised appropriately as "Non-permanent"

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

They look quite nice, really clean and crisp. Can you tells us a bit more about how you made them? Just a little bit like Software used? where you found the Data?

@DaveB - I agree the first map looks Australia look very green and lush, but I think the lakes are symbolised appropriately as "Non-permanent"

Ah, I see that now that you pointed it out. The misleading part to me is the solid fill that's very similar to the shallow coastal waters. The dotted outline is very subtle and gets lost unless you know to look for it (or my eyes are just getting old!).

(or maybe Australia really is that lush and green, but the wiley Australians want us to think it's mostly desert so they don't get huge numbers of people wanting to move there... :lol: )
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • United States

These are really nice, thanks for sharing!

The one thing that threw me a little was the scale bars. It took me a bit to realize that they're showing kilometers and nautical miles, not statute miles. When I see "250 miles" I'm thinking that should be closer to 400 Km. Should it be abbreviated differently? I (shamefully) am not sure what the standard assumptions are on maps produced outside of the US.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

(or maybe Australia really is that lush and green, but the wiley Australians want us to think it's mostly desert so they don't get huge numbers of people wanting to move there... :lol: )

Haha - Yes that is right! Another ploy I have found effective is to show people the Jean-Louis "Land of the barfing sheep" map. For some reason tourism Australia didn't want to use it :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->